Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

heilp with a Quark.

woodbob123

Having trouble with our Quark.  purchased last year didn't have a chance to test it over dec/jan but had a stay in Spain coming up so plenty of opportunity we thought but we left the power lead back in the UK (even so any chance of seeing the eclipse was destroyed by 5 days of stormy weather). Our tripod mount and scopes are out there so not a lot of equipment to mount the Quark on but have tried with a Bresser skylux 70mm and a couple of eyepiece's and a simple mount  I borrowed back from the Grandchildren.

I can get a full solar image when looking through the Quark on the scope but not with eyepiece.

As the equipment here is limited and I'm not sure what the problem is and before I think about returning the Quark or driving back to Spain (tempting as that is), does any body have one set up we could replace with ours or a scope/mount that we could put it on.   We are in Newport but happy to travel    Thanks.

Thanks guys   problem is not being able to see anything through the eyepiece?? will try the scope and e/p tonight, would first like to confirm the Quark is working before I get another scope and mount to dedicate. 

Bob

Are you sure you are aiming at the Sun, it's actually quite tricky to find, you may think it's visible in the Quark but could just be reflections and nothing visible in the eyepiece.

Do you have a Sol Searcher ? quite useful but you still need to find the Sun originally to align it.

Do you have some Badder solar film, you can put it over the front of the scope then look in the diagonal to centre the Sun before fitting the quark and removing the film.

Dave

All the equipment I have here is scope an eyepiece and a simple wooden alt/alz mount all put together for grandkids to look at the moon, everything else is in Spain. Hope to test out the Quark just in case then at least a better scope and mount will sort it out, just to  remove the nagging worry that I've a fault with an expensive piece of kit hope it will be possible to try it with somebody  else's working setup and I'm not just suffering a(nother) lack of skill. I even checked it could not be fitted upside down just in case lol. 

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had my first light through the Quark yesterday.   Purchased a cheap celestron short focus scope off e-bay pulled out a very dusty eq mount that has sat in workshop for 10 years bolted it to a workmate made up a fixing plate and we managed to see the large prom on the sun yesterday :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin: 

Problems were flex in the scope and diagonal (both did only cost £20) mount did not stay on target when Quark was placed in position. But in my defence there were only for the Grandchildren aged 2-8 to view the moon and planets

So say good bye to the sun for a few days,  new projects are sturdy tripod better mount then a better scope, does it never end

Bob

Archived