NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

BST Starguider EPs?

Hi everyone.

My wife and I are beginners and I am looking for a new EP for her Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT to get a better view of planets than the stock Celestron 9mm EP which came with the scope.

Our scope has a 650mm focal length and I have been advised that the max EP we could hope to use in good conditions is a 6mm (the highest magnification set up we can get to at the moment is 3.6mm using the 9mm and a 2.5x Barlow which we cannot get in to focus).

I was considering a Baader Classic Ortho 6mm but have decided instead to upgrade our Barlow to a Celestron X-Cel LX 2x and expand our EP range with a 12mm which we can Barlow to 6. As far as I know this should work comfortably within the range of our scope.

I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate a little guidance:

1. Will we noticeably lose any light or image quality using a 12mm and a Barlow rather than going for a 6mm?

2. I have found a 12mm EP - a BST Starguider which only seems to be available on ebay. Are these EPs well rated?

If anyone has any views on the Celestron Barlow I have suggested or alternative EP options I'd be grateful.

Thanks everyone

Tom

Yes the bsts are very good for the price £49 from Alan at skies the limit on eBay.I still have the 8 mm.They have 60* fov with screw up eye guards and work well down to f5 scopes.A lot of people will recommend them on here.

Sorry forgot,revelation barlows are well thought of on here and I haven't noticed any difference when using mine as you can see in my sig.I think they can actually improve views on bright planets.

I use BST Starguiders and find they suit me perfectly, but they may not suit

everyone,  most people who use them say they are very good, I find the

Revelation Astro Barlow to be well suited to my Starguiders, the 12mm

Starguider should be ok for your needs, I use my 15mm plus my Barlow

to view Jupiter, and get great detailed views, the Starguiders have a good

wide field view, which I like, also the screw up eye cup makes observing

very comfortable and stops blackouts too. 

Archived