Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first deep space shot...

This is my first deep space shot (Ive had some success with Jupiter so wanted to take a look at some deep space objects).

I managed (for the first time) to align the pole star - I then took x10 40 sec shots of the night sky just using my camera on the EQ5 tripod - picture attached (in jpeg format - original taken in raw format)

The issues I had were:

1. - after aligning to the pole star I then set about using my goto function - so I went about a 2 star alignment - but after telling the scope to point at Capella it actually went in the opposite direction. 

Once I'd aligned the pole star the mount was pointing north with the camera pointing to the east - is this the home position - am I supposed to point the camera at the pole star first then use goto?

2. - I was quite happy with my 40sec shots - cant see any star trails or if so only little - but when I tried to stack the 10 pics in deep space stacker, the stacked image came out smaller with less detail?!

Not sure what Im doing wrong there.

post-38182-0-89876000-1428914001_thumb.j

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Home position is the weights pointing down and the scope pointing towards Polaris, Polar alignment and GoTo are different things, PA will give you longer tracking with no star trails, GoTo will find the DSO's that you can't see, although you may have a good idea where in the sky they are, provided the Scope goes in the general direction on the first GoTo star undo the clutches and move the scope so the chosen star is centred in a high power EP, tighten the clutches while keeping it centred and do the second star use the handset to align to this star, that's it job done, bit of practice and it takes no time at all.

This is home position. Point your camera north as much as poss too.

post-1704-0-47715900-1428928854.jpg

Did you put the date into the handset in the American format: mth/day/year? Did you also ensure Daylight Saving was on? Were the co-ords and time accurate? I've messed up all these a few times!

Alexxx

The Home position is the weights pointing down and the scope pointing towards Polaris, Polar alignment and GoTo are different things, PA will give you longer tracking with no star trails, GoTo will find the DSO's that you can't see, although you may have a good idea where in the sky they are, provided the Scope goes in the general direction on the first GoTo star undo the clutches and move the scope so the chosen star is centred in a high power EP, tighten the clutches while keeping it centred and do the second star use the handset to align to this star, that's it job done, bit of practice and it takes no time at all.

Im using APT so I was going to use the goto to find the star for alignment and then check that its centered on screen - no need to loosen the clutches I would imagine since I need to keep them tight to move the scope and center the star?

attachicon.gifEQ5.JPG

Did you put the date into the handset in the American format: mth/day/year? Did you also ensure Daylight Saving was on? Were the co-ords and time accurate? I've messed up all these a few times!

Alexxx

Ill check the date format - yes to daylight saving on - time was accurate and lat long...

Im always using Stellarium - maybe use that to move the scope?

attachicon.gifEQ5.JPG

Alexxx

Alex - i went through the controller tonight and you're spot on - id entered dd mm yyyy :/

Also - when i goto the home position i presume id see the pole star through the scope?

Hi Seany.

I made the same mistake last week, though I used to set up fine. I had a years break from it and forgot the basics! Polar align the mount (not the scope). Once the mount is polar aligned, you set up the scope in the home position, as shown. I do that by using a spirit level on both the Scope and the arm with the weight on, then turn both axis 90 degrees, using the setting circles to point accurately north. Once that is done, you can use the goto and it should work fine, providing the date is in the right format, your location is accurate and you have daylight saving as on. Piece of pi** really! Lol. 

I too tried to get polaris in the centre of the scopes image and it got into some very strange positions...

It's a steep learning curve, but rewarding. Tim. 

Alex - i went through the controller tonight and you're spot on - id entered dd mm yyyy :/

Also - when i goto the home position i presume id see the pole star through the scope?

Polaris is used just to polar align the mount so it moves correctly and accurately around the sky. Unless you have a scope with a wide FOV, you won't see Polaris through it.

Good luck now you've got the date order right!

I agree with S-Tim. Getting an accurate home position is important.

Hi Seany.

I made the same mistake last week, though I used to set up fine. I had a years break from it and forgot the basics! Polar align the mount (not the scope). Once the mount is polar aligned, you set up the scope in the home position, as shown. I do that by using a spirit level on both the Scope and the arm with the weight on, then turn both axis 90 degrees, using the setting circles to point accurately north. Once that is done, you can use the goto and it should work fine, providing the date is in the right format, your location is accurate and you have daylight saving as on. Piece of pi** really! Lol. 

I too tried to get polaris in the centre of the scopes image and it got into some very strange positions...

It's a steep learning curve, but rewarding. Tim. 

Hi Nebula - I know Im being really thick but once Ive polar aligned the mount dont I just swing the scope to line up with the North axis - at which point it should be looking at polaris - afterall the mount is "looking at" polaris?

Polaris is used just to polar align the mount so it moves correctly and accurately around the sky. Unless you have a scope with a wide FOV, you won't see Polaris through it.

Good luck now you've got the date order right!

I agree with S-Tim. Getting an accurate home position is important.

Sorry Im getting lost on sorting this accurate home position - don't I just swing the scope around to face north / polaris?

Also - once Ive done my 2/3 star alignment I presume that the home position would be sorted - I was going to use APT to see what the camera see when centering the alignment stars?

Same mistake I made at first :grin:

Its funny re mm/dd/yy I got away with the mistake because it was 12th April :) but I thought no surely Im not that dense (lol) but when I tried it yesterday 13th 04 2015 it went der der do I typed in 04 13 2015 :)

Polaris is at +89 19 45  so it is not bang on the celsestial north pole. If you have a wide enough FOV (about 2 degrees) it will be in the EP when you are in the home position.

Olly

Once id done my 2/3 star alignment I presume the home position issue would be sorted? Would you go for 2 or 3 stars?

Yep, just point the aperture of the scope north, when parked, as in the diagram I posted. You start from the home position. When you've finished your astro session, or if something goes wrong and you need to start again, ask the handset to park. I can't remember which menu it's under! You don't need to send the mount to park after star alignment, just send it to your first object. Just as an aside, I always focus on the last alignment star as it's nice and bright.

I'm not, due to not being mobile, neither myself nor my other half drive. So being stuck in the town centre, there isn't any point in even getting it out of storage til one of us gets driving to be able to escape town.  But once we are mobile and able to drive to the South Downs or to Chailey or Ditchling Common, then I'll be needing someone to show us how to set up, collimate, polar align and install motors, and all that jazz! And then hopefully achieve something like the photo above! :D

I'm not, due to not being mobile, neither myself nor my other half drive. So being stuck in the town centre, there isn't any point in even getting it out of storage til one of us gets driving to be able to escape town.  But once we are mobile and able to drive to the South Downs or to Chailey or Ditchling Common, then I'll be needing someone to show us how to set up, collimate, polar align and install motors, and all that jazz! And then hopefully achieve something like the photo above! :D

TT dont worry - its really hard :)

I've taken a deeper look at my eq5 polar scope - when I look inside there is a large circle on which is a small cirle - i think im supposed to position Polaris inside that small cirle/bubble. Also - on the polar scope there are dials.

2 questions -

1. How do i rotate the circle so that I can position the bubble to locate over Polaris - not sure what I need to rotate here

2. What are those dials for - are they some form of date setting - there are 2 sets an inner and outer set.

At every turn I'm told that I should attend star parties to seek guidance and advice concerning astrophotography. Except that it's never quite so easy despite ones desire. I've attended many local star parties. While fun to chat, I've yet to meet a single solitary imager.

Seriously, someone needs to start a traveling Astrophotography camp for adults!! Hit major cities thereby allowing those in the region to drive or fly in and spend a long weekend asking the million questions ALL of us beginners have. I'd kill to attend such a camp!! I'd do it myself, but my talent for opening new equipment boxes and reading through forums isn't so useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You turn the scope to align Polaris to the bubble, and as for the dials there something to do with where Polaris should be its easier to use Polar Finder...Just enter you location correctly..Not sure if your handset surposts it but my NEQ6 handset allows Polar Alignment using any star taken from a scroll down list, it means no getting on your hands and knee to look through the Polar Scope...

http://myastroimages.com/Polar_FinderScope_by_Jason_Dale/

Archived