Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Coma Berenices

OXO

There's a cute story about it, but I think it was made up after the fact, by a hairdresser.

Pray tell?

James :lol:

It goes something like: a pagan queen, named Bernice, whose husband was away looting and pillaging, believed that her husband had been killed, and in her grief she cut off all her beautiful hair. When he returned, alive, she was very happy to see him, but he was very angry to see his wife with a crew cut, as he had married her because of her beautiful hair. To assuage his ire, she pointed up to the Coma Berenices (did I mention her name was Bernice?) region and said, "But look! Because of my grief, the gods put my hair in the sky!" He fell for it, and everybody lived happily ever after, pillaging and looting to their heart's content.

Coma Berenices is both a constellation AND an open cluster. The constellation is shaped like an upside-down "L". The cluster is a triangle at the upper right edge of the L. The cluster is also called Mellotte 111 and is a truly great binocular site!

After my imaging session last night i had a quick half hour looking at the Constellation blimey theres some corking views to be had isn't there, i seen many many galaxies and a couple of cluster around the area. One of the galaxies looked like a fish in the Telescope any ideas? it's was just left of Coma Berenices...

Wonderfull Views!

Hi Astroman,

Just looked up NGC 4565 and thats what i was observing the seeing was shocking hence the fish like description hehe, it's pretty poor again tonight here but i will take a longer look later also look up Mellotte 111 too.

Thanks.

Just been looking at Mel 111 your quite right it is Huge just about fits into view of my scope with a 40mm EP very nice indeed but i will after wait till the seeing conditions are better to really get a hold of it. NGC 4565 is barely visable at the moment i'll try an image if the conditions allow later on.

Archived