Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using DSLR controller for multiple exposures

almcl

Does anyone else use the Android ap DSLR controller to control their Canon camera for AP?

I have been doing for a little while but cannot get it to  take multiple exposures above 30 secs duration. 

Up to now this hasn't been a problem as unguided, 30 sec exposures (which can be done in multiples) but having just started guiding, I can now manage several minute exposures and it would be great to set up to take several exposures without further intervention.

So, if you use DSLR controller, is there a way to get it to do multiple timed bulb exposures?  (Without sitting there stabbing the start icon every time.)

I don't think you can though I am not 100% sure because I only rarely use DSLR Controller and that is to set/check focus, frame and change some settings, otherwise I use an intervalometer which is way better for taking subs and will last an entire night unlike a phone or tablet.

Will have a play again and see...I have emailed Chainfire (the author) who is a bit unresponsive but I managed to get around my issue via other means (the issue was focusing a lens via the app when the lens is set to manual focus mode).

You can.

You have to go to setting and use what is effectively time lapse to get longer than 30 seconds, can be as little images in a row as you want. You don't get the same preview like you do with single shots but if you need more than 1 image for which you could otherwise use bulb it's what you need to use.

It works like an interalometer but uses up battery as Stuart mentioned above.

I normally use DSLR Controller to focus my camera (easier to view on phone than bending down to camera, plus I think I get a brighter better display than on the camera LiveView display) and frame the shot, and then use the Skywatcher handset to take multiple exposures - however I have now started trying out DSLR Controller for the multiple shots as well. There is a USB socket on my 12V power pack which I use to power the phone, since it goes flat very quickly otherwise as Stuart and happy-kat mentioned above

Thanks for the replies guys. I am actually using a tablet (the 10 inch screen with 10x mag makes focussing, with or without Bahtinov mask, much easier) and so far its battery outlasts the one in the camera. I'll have to have a play with the time lapse settings.

If you're shooting tethered you could have a look at an application called "control my canon", I have the Nikon version and it gives virtually full camera control from the PC including bracketing and some other interesting stuff

Just to answer my own question in case anyone else is looking for an answer, and with thanks to happy-kat for pointing me in the right direction, yes, it is possible to take multiple images in Bulb mode using DSLR controller. 

First set shutter to bulb and then from the settings button (bottom right on my display) select the 'Timelapse' option.  This first gives the shutter open time dialog and then the number of shots and interval between them. 

Only needing the tablet to control the imaging process will be make dark sky site imaging a lot simpler. 

Thanks to all who responded! 

Archived