Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

April 11, 2015: Something big on the eastern limb

I just had the solar scope out, and something big has just turned the corner. A big sunspot and very bright plage area are visible on the northeastern limb, along with various prominences. Could well produce flares by the look of it. The big filaprom on the southwestern limb is still going strong, but the hedgerow seems to have turned the corner for the most part. The area around AR12320 looks active as ever. Nice after breakfast session

Nice one Michael :laugh: Lets hope some more flares develop, It has been quite a fruitful week so far.

I have been waiting for a nice size spot to come around so I can check the Continuum filter on a decent target.

The forecast is clear for this afternoon in Northants, despite the rain at the moment, so with a bit of luck I may get to see it :smiley:

Some clear blue sky has developed here Michael :laugh: 2 lovely spots making their way around and as you said they are surrounded by some lovely bright orange plage..... the surface is looking splendid again today.... we are being spoiled by the Quarks performance.

I am going to switch the Continuum to the Polarising filter have a closer look at them there spots. There is also a crab-claw developing directly above the Plage :laugh: Getting windy here :shocked:

Update:

There are at least 4 spots on the Eastern side, the seeing is very good due to the rain earlier, I might even be able to get the 2.5mm out :laugh:

The obsy walls are good enough protection. So with my 15mm plossl I can see various features. There seems to be a lot going on around the 2 to 3 o'clock position in my view. Here I can see sun spots emerging and lots of spikes proms? on the limb. I assume that is East or North East. What convention do you use for solar?

Archived