Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flat ground for dobsonian?

Manual Dobsonians are easily operated, with that being said placing the base on a flat board helps a lot. My backyard is like an ocean and I've not been able to find a adequate location . So improvisation is the only way I can sit and view for hours, I use my adjustable leg shower chair I got for $15 at a thrift store and works for 6 yrs. so far and I shim the board for AP.

Most folk I know with manual dobs face this challenge. I have seen adjustable feet, the odd paving slab and a few bricks. Just make sure you are safe, along with the glass bits that may drop out of the focusser...

I've never had mine on flat ground. If the base has three feet you can move it about to get it sturdier. I've always just shoved a bit of wood under one side if the ground is partially uneven. I've had it on a bit of a slope before, that wasn't so great but it still worked. Just a bit more effort to push it I found.

John

Archived