NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

best camera for all sky use

Horwig

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-6754-0-87999300-1429213926_thumb.jp

It's slowly getting dark, and its still working. You can just make out Venus.

After a certain time, EZPlanetary would crash, but if I started another instance, that would work. Confused, you bet I am.

Huw

Hue, One of the reasons that I keep thinking of stand alone guiding is the fact that most programmes like sharpcap, phd etc simply dump at will for no apparent reason the protocol they are to carry out.

The images so far look very promising! Thinking of making one of these all sky things myself!

Keep us posted as the twilight fades and the images get stronger with lots of stars!

Boyd

Interesting, thanks Gina.

BTW, that's not Venus, its lost in the sunset burn out. That's Jupiter. :mad:

H

I thought Jupiter was in the east - but I expect you're right. 

I was really confused, and had to use Stellarium to check. Jupiter was due South at 20:50  when that capture was done.

Since then, nothing worked. Can you trust computers to get anything right?

Huw

Well, I've re-installed drivers for the QHY on the obsy pc, seems to work at the moment. Time will tell.

The only difference I could see was that I'd installed drivers from the CD on my house PC, and downloaded them for the other two, explain that one away.

huw

Different driver versions?

Could be.  Or different versions of the firmware even, as the firmware is reloaded into the camera every time you plug it in.

One of the frustrating things about QHY is their provision of camera firmware that has no apparent means for identifying the version or release date, so you have no idea whether you have the latest or not.

James

post-6754-0-60921700-1429359220_thumb.jp

Ok, swapped over house and obsy PCs, EZPlanetary has been running now for a couple of hours, lets see how the day goes. I'm working tonight till about midnight, I'll set it up to record a frame every once in a while whilst I'm away.

Interestingly, orientation is different to PHD, this is North down, West left.

Huw

One of the frustrating things about QHY is their provision of camera firmware that has no apparent means for identifying the version or release date, so you have no idea whether you have the latest or not.

Really :(

A supplier (any supplier) of commercial/industrial software/hardware must always build such basic information into their firmware/software/hardware, surely ??

Such a lot of the available commercial (for the home user) astro gear actually contains so very little quality hardware/software/firmware these days when you look at the prices they charge :(

You'd have thought so, but if there is a way to find the version I've been completely unable to identify it.  There are plenty of QHY cameras with more than one version of firmware available, too :(

James

Sharpcap running, and it's giving me quite a range of exposure control, but can't get it to auto exposure, the button is greyed out.

Anyway, Gina, your warning about lens positioning in the dome was probably right, now I've got the exposure short enough to see speculars in daylight I noticed this one in the red circle, it's the sun on my tv aerial. OUCH!

Huw

post-6754-0-03458300-1429364734_thumb.jppost-6754-0-99108700-1429364743.jpg

Archived