Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M101 companion?

Andrew*

Observing at Kielder last night I had a look at M101 for the fist time - lovely it looked too - nice, large, and fairly bright, with a hint of spirality* to it.

While I was in the area, I swear I saw another galaxy in the same FOV (at 31x mag), which was fainter, smaller, more edge on... Others who looked also saw it. It did in fact look a little like the M81/2 pair, but I checked where the scope was pointing and it defo was M101.

I looked on the Craig's starry night, and it could have been mag 11.3 galaxy NGC(whatever) but I'm not sure. Any idea?

Andrew

* a word coined by dogfish, was it? Can't tell you two brothers apart, especially in the dark! :(

Andrew,

M101 has five prominent companion galaxies: NGC 5204, NGC 5474, NGC 5477, NGC 5585, and Holmberg IV. The gravitational interaction between M101 and its companionsmay have triggered the formation of the grand design pattern in M101.

M101 has also problably distorted the companion galaxy NGC 5474.

Steve..

Archived