Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope focuser will not be right side up on new mount

Hey guys, Im about to order a mount for my Orion ED80, and realized that this will end up putting my focusers vertical instead of horizontal.

http://www.company7.com/orion/graphics/Orion80mmED697200.jpg
http://www.astromart.com/images/classifieds/576000-576999/576960-2.jpg

This is my first time with a refractor, so I'm not sure how things like this are managed. I'm wondering if I should be unscrewing these screws and rotating the entire thing : http://imgur.com/8UQQHvK
Im wondering if this will ruin the collimation or if its a bad idea in general. How would I go about dealing with this?

Cheers!

The "foot" on the Orion looks like it's just a photographic tripod attachment plate (1/4" thread) rather than an astronomical dovetail, which you'll need to attach it to the mount you show.

I think you'll need to add a  dovetail to the plate first.

There's no real issue using the scope with the focuser at an angle...... but yes using those screws you could move it to a "better position".

The collimation should still be OK.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetail-bars.html

The L bracket shown would do the trick and position the focuser horizontal......

I don't understand what you mean - vertical focuser? Why should that change anything?

If you mean you would have a problem looking through the eyepiece, then using a diagonal is needed. I would suggest a good one with dielectric optics and a 99% reflectivity.* Your scope deserves the best!

Clear Skies,

Dave

post-38438-0-70048600-1428209007.jpg

I don't understand what you mean - vertical focuser? Why should that change anything?

If you mean you would have a problem looking through the eyepiece, then using a diagonal is needed. I would suggest a good one with dielectric optics and a 99% reflectivity.* Your scope deserves the best!

Clear Skies,

Dave

attachicon.gifGSO Diagonal.jpg

I did get a good diagonal :), I don't think that the focuser being at an angle would change the views. I just think that it would be more comfortable to use if I dont have to reach for the focuser under the telescope, and instead have it on the side like it was meant to be. 

The "foot" on the Orion looks like it's just a photographic tripod attachment plate (1/4" thread) rather than an astronomical dovetail, which you'll need to attach it to the mount you show.

I think you'll need to add a  dovetail to the plate first.

There's no real issue using the scope with the focuser at an angle...... but yes using those screws you could move it to a "better position".

The collimation should still be OK.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetail-bars.html

The L bracket shown would do the trick and position the focuser horizontal......

Yep! I got the dovetail ready and mounted on it atm while waiting for a decent mount to attach it to.

If it would allow me to save money, I think I would go ahead and unscrew it, but its a little intimidating. I think I'll give it a try though once I get the mount, if I find the angle annoying. Thanks!

As above, remove the mount plate on the scope, cover the screw holes, and put on two tube rings and a mounting bar. That gives you a much easier to use system than the Orion bar supplied, and it is much stronger - the original plate is held by two very small screws self-tapped into the (soft) dural tube. For me, having the finder shoe in the right position is as important as having the focussing knobs in a handy position.

Chris

Doesn't the focuser just rotate on 2 or 3 screws ?

Sort of undo the screwa a bit, rotate focuser and tighten up the focuser again?

All my refractor focuser's do and I would have expected the Orion to do the same.

Doesn't the focuser just rotate on 2 or 3 screws ?

Sort of undo the screwa a bit, rotate focuser and tighten up the focuser again?

All my refractor focuser's do and I would have expected the Orion to do the same.

No they don't on these scopes, it is a non rotating Focuser held in position by three screws. The only option is to unscrew and put in one of the two other possible positions, effectively three possibles at 120 degree spacings.

I agree with Chris and others though that a set of rings and a dovetail would be a much better solution.

Archived