SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

4 or 6 mm Eyepiece for Planets

I would recommend that one begins purchasing eyepieces with a plan.  That way, no matter what eyepiece you get next, it moves your toward your ultimate goal without creating duplication.  For example: a 2X barlow, 12mm, and 7mm eyepieces gives a 1000mm focal length telescope 88X, 143X, 167X, and 285X.  When someone is just starting out, there's no need to buy an eyepiece that provides a given magnification that an existing eyepiece with a barlow already covers.

My collection includes a 2X barlow and the following eyepieces: 40mm, 25mm, 15mm, 12mm, 7mm, & 5mm.  Those 5 eyepieces and a barlow covers 25X - 400X in nice manageable steps.  The barlow and 12, 7, & 5mm eyepieces are made by X-Cel LX and I couldn't be more pleased given my budget.  They have adjustable eyecups and a 16mm eye relief which makes them very forgiving to use.  Begin with the end in mind.

To the OP's original question, I routinely use my 12mm & 7mm on Jupiter.  If seeing is above average I use the 5mm eyepiece.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a zoom ep 8-24 and its excellent. Much heavier than i thought it would be which to my mind means well built. Moon fits perfectly at 24mm and appears sharp right to the edge.

I have a mak though so even cheap and nasty EPs can look half decent.

Avoid the 7mm zoom though apparently no where near as good.

I will echo spaceboy. In my experience pushing past x250 mag is a rare thing indeed due to atmospheric conditions. I have a 8.8 Meade 4000 that works lovely and can be had for good money second hand. I can use it on most clear nights and it is about as far as I want to go with Dob nudging :)

I own both the 5mm and 9mm Celestron X-Cel LX. The 9mm is routinely used for planetary work; the 5mm gets very rare outings as it's magnification is so high that I need a more or less perfectly turbulence-free night to make it work.

I own both the 5mm and 9mm Celestron X-Cel LX. The 9mm is routinely used for planetary work; the 5mm gets very rare outings as it's magnification is so high that I need a more or less perfectly turbulence-free night to make it work.

I bought a 4mm Celestron Omni a couple of yrs back thinking it would be good for observing planets. Its been used once and that was on the Moon on a night that was as perfect as can be.

I've just got a 5mm BST and have had some good, sharp views of Jupiter with it. With a 2x Barlow the view isn't quite as good and I think a 7mm would probably be better with the Barlow for the extra planetary detail

Archived