Bargain or not

triton1

Just been browsing on Abs and noticed a Meade xtreme swa 100* 14mm ep for the price of £145.These are £439 at telescope house,trouble is though it,s in Portugal but even with p+p still cheap,or is it a scam.I have seen similar but never had the bottle to risk it.

Must admit I would be a bit hesitant :cool:  It sounds like such a good price that someone can not resist buying it. Do not trust the post in UK let alone coming all the way from Portugal.

Has the seller got any feedback or is he a genuine astronomer? May be hard to find out but may be worth trying in the long run.

seller is OK and so is the eye piece.Meade XWA`s for some strange reason never gained popularity.Maybe due to the looks of the eye piece or god know what are the other reasons,however,i found a few comments and short-ish review on one of the russian astro forums and they where all positive.For 145 quid,well lets say 160 quid with the postage,i think it is a real bargain and who ever is into 100 degree views,should go for it.I recon same as John,there should not be any difference between ExSc or Meade,even with Ethos there will be very little to none difference.

Bottled it well missus did as I,m already watching another but can,t help thinking price seems a giveaway and as my Dad used to say if it sounds to good to be true then it probably isn't.

The seller is genuine and that is a ridiculous amount of EP for the money and a real keeper.

Don't forget - If he bought that in Euros a year ago and has decided he wishes to recover 66% of what he paid (not unreasonable) due to the drop in the Euro/GBP exchange rate, once he's calculated that in GBP will be 20-25% cheaper than when he bought it. He'll still be seeing the same price he wants, but our buying power has gone way up. For instance, a brand new ES100 14mm is only £265 delivered and when I looked last year, that was more like £310. £150 for the same optics second hand isn't that far out of whack.

If you don't pay Paypal 'Friends & family' you will be insured and even if that costs you a whole 3% in fees and £15 in carriage, it's a very good deal.

The only problem you'll have is that all of your other EPs will look very, very narrow and not see much time in the focuser. That and the fact that to upgrade it will be £480 for very, very little difference!

Russell

Archived