Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pier top scope house

catburglar

I was thinking of building something like this... http://www.pierplates.com/motel.html ... for my SCT. Has anybody else done something similar?

I'm a bit worried about condensation when not in use or even moisture build up at the end of a damp observing session in a comfined space messing about with the optics or electronics.

Any advice as to how I could best address it? Should I just make sure there's adequate ventilation e.g. by designing some ventilation holes in he base plate that are covered by a fine filter to prevent ingress of creepy crawlies?

You could put vents in it, and place some kind of dehumidifying unit in it, you know those you put tablets in every couple of months. If it is reflecting the heat though, it should remain pretty constant and hopefully not dew up.

John

i built mine from a plastic B & Q 6 x 4 garden shed i cut it down to 4 x 4 .

i built a 3 x 2 frame for it to sit and slide on and it is water proof and wind proof , it is held in place by 2 long 10mm bolts and hasnt leaked or moved in all the high winds and recent rain

post-5256-0-17504400-1427889463_thumb.jp

post-5256-0-30599600-1427889630_thumb.jp

i must say it is the best thing i have done in astro, it only takes a minute to be imigeing..that is when these clouds allow..!!!!

a couple more views

all closed up looking like a chicken house.

post-5256-0-90736900-1427890864_thumb.jp

and open ready for use.

post-5256-0-06448900-1427890876_thumb.jp

the top part is very light and easy to remove., the bottom half contains all the electric bits n pieces and as i said before its totally water proof, comes with vents built in.

the plastic cuts really easy with a stanly knife.

Regards 

Graham

Archived