Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BOOK FOR BEGINERS

It's out of print now...God knows why! But the Observers Book of Astronomy by Patrick Moore, is brilliant, okay I'm biased...it was the first book on the subject that I bought years ago and I've still got it. It used to accompany me in the back garden on numerous occasions and it's small enough to slip into you pocket. You can likely pick up a second hand copy for pennies if you look around.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favourite astronomy book is: "Astronomy" by Ian Ridpath. It starts with the history of astronomy and as the chapters go by, it takes in the basics for "beginners" and progresses up and into some (what i consider hardcore) astrophysics. Like most astro books............its not linear. You dont have to read it from page 1 to the last page. You can jump in anywhere really, but for "beginners", like most books...................its best to start on page 1 and then read it right through.

There's a lot in it that wont make sense to many (astrophysics), but you can still read it and get a grasp of whats being said.

This is also a really good enjoyable read (as are most of his books). Its not strictly an astronomy book and the author has no qualifications in science etc. If anything, he has qualifications in observing life and the world around him and just tells it like he sees it.

He just explains stuff in lay man terms and smatters it with humour:

http://www.billbryson.co.uk/index.php/a-short-history-of-nearly-everything/#uk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had the excellent 'Objects in the Heavens' by Peter Birren for over a year now and it never leaves my hands! Easier to use than the pocket sky atlas (big pockets needed is all I can say) and so helpful/informative for relative newbies. :-)

Turn Left at Orion is hard to beat for beginners, in terms of an observing guide,  because it shows you what to look for, where to look for it and how it is likely to look using the type of instrument that beginners use, plus lots more. It is also written in a very easy, friendly style that is very encouraging to a beginner. 

Additionally I would really recommend The Backyard Astronomers Guide by Dickinson & Dyer. Not so much a practical observing guide although there is a bit of that, but in terms of explaining the why's and wherefore's of buying and using equipment its brilliant. Many of the practical questions I was asking were answered in this book and I wish I'd bought it earlier.

For learning how to make star charts relate to the night sky in a meaningful way this is an absolute Godsend. http://www.amazon.fr/Photographic-Atlas-Stars-H-J-P-Arnold/dp/0750306548

On one page is a photo of the sky and next to it is a decent star chart. You can learn to move between one and the other, either way round, in your lounge before going out. I run an astronomy guest house and beginners consistently agree that this book is a huge help when starting out. Expensive but comes up second hand. (Amazon, ABE books etc.)

Olly

Archived