Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mono Jupiter - LRGB or Colour ZWO?

Was out tonight shooting Jupiter with my mono QHY5-ii - Ive made the process slicker and learnt a lot re barlows (using x2 and x3) - Firecapture - and post processing with PIPP, Regi 6 and Photoshop; loved every minute.

Now - Im thinking Id love to capture the giant in colour - so do I buy LRGBs and a wheel or a colour ZWO? I know going forward Id use the QHY5-ii as a guide cam re dso in conjunction with my DSLR - which I presume I could use my LRGBs with?

Feels like LRGBs would be higher quality and I could use them both with QHY for planets and DSLR re DSO.

Any thoughts?

post-38182-0-94232000-1427153200.png

post-38182-0-88886500-1427153201.png

Great results I'd say! If you don't mind the extra effort if takes go with the mono ZWO for better results in the end. For me I dig the color one. You'll most likely have to use another program to de-rotate the images because of the extra time it takes to get the raw files and with the planets rotating. 

Good images!

Ditto for the derotation of images when taking time over filters. WinJupos is the software to derotate but it's horribly complicated and I ran away!  :blush: But you get more detail. I use the colour one as I can't be bothered with filters for planetary. Here are a couple I took. The seeing is all important and my processing could be better!

Alexxx

post-1704-0-08676600-1427194905.jpg

post-1704-0-95757400-1427194910.jpg

If I'm right (and I should know!  :blush: ) the MC has an IR/UV filter but no other filter is needed. Unless someone has other ideas??

I don't use a filter for broadband images with the DSLR, except my Astronomik EOS Clip-in light pollution filter, but you can add narrowband clip-in filters such as Ha, OIII etc.

It wouldn't help to use colour filters with a dslr unless it was some fancy custom job with the bayer layer scraped off. Filters and a mono planetary camera seems to give the best results if you are happy with the extra hassle.

I often shoot 2-3 luminance channels for Jupiter + 3 color channels (L, R, G, B, Yellow-longpass, Red-longpass; L needs dispersion corrector, yellow usually too!) and it fits in a relatively short window for WinJUPOS derotation (3000 frames for color channel, 4000-5000 for luminance channel, at around 60-50 FPS or bit more).

Only Mars and Venus allow very fast capture with a good frame quality. Jupiter depends on filter - on the edge. Saturn is just to dim, not to mention Uranus or Neptune. Sun/Moon are bright so those can go fast too. If you don't want to start RGB planetary imaging with a mono camera then start with mono IR imaging :)

I do want to do LRBG with my QHY5 - I think thats the way to go - I presume I could use these filters with my DSLR too for deep space?

I think LRGB is in the true spirit of things rather than a plug n play colour cam - whoops Ive got a dslr :)

Archived