Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron C6 OTA - v - Skymax 150

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect the c6 is f/10, the mak will have a longer focal length. Longer native focal length theoretically is better, but how that pans out given the seeing conditions we encounter and other components in the light path (barlos, powermates, filters, camera sesnors etc)...

Go for as much apperture as you can afford. How much extra money is a 180mak or a c8? Put a wanted add on astrobuysellUK and see if you get any interest.

James

An SCT (f/10) is more versatile than the Mak (f/12), but you're not after versatility, you want planets.

With its smaller secondary, the Mak will have better contrast in the fine details you want to observe.

RGB should give better results than a colour camera, but if you're doing RGB you obviously need all the filters and a wheel or drawer which pushes the price up a fair bit.  The ZWO cameras make the TIS models look very expensive for what they are these days.

James

just tested a c5 sct against a 127 mak at sglx the mak won hands down on jupiter. I expect the 150 mak to perform similarly against a c6 sct

Great news - paid £300 for my 150... just need to work out best way to grab colour :)

DFK 21AU618.AS Colour £250 v zwo similar - which would you go for?

That's a second hand price for the DFK, I assume.  New I think they're nearer £350.  However, the ASI120MC can be had new for less than that I believe, and the ASI120MC-S (USB3 version) for just a little more.  I'd probably go for the 120MC-S if my imaging system had USB3 or was likely to have in the relatively near future, otherwise I think I'd go for the 120MC.  I don't have much experience with the DFK though, so I may be judging it unfairly.

James

Good price! I am sure you will enjoy it more for planets than a C6. Nobody mentioned the collimation issue. I have a 127 Mak and a C8 and I have to do a pretty careful collimation with the C8 to actually surpass the substantially smaller Mak. I actually did a comparison this month with all my OTAs on Jupiter (you can see a report here if you like), just to make sure my general feeling that you cannot beat a Mak for planets (when you consider size, price).

Good price! I am sure you will enjoy it more for planets than a C6. Nobody mentioned the collimation issue. I have a 127 Mak and a C8 and I have to do a pretty careful collimation with the C8 to actually surpass the substantially smaller Mak. I actually did a comparison this month with all my OTAs on Jupiter (you can see a report here if you like), just to make sure my general feeling that you cannot beat a Mak for planets (when you consider size, price).

Great work Vacuum - what camera did you use?

Ah, I see now, you were indeed referring to me, "Vacuum" seems to be the user level I just upgraded to... :) So, yes, it was a Canon 550D, it is not as good as a mono camera I have, but it doesn't even require a PC so it is great for running such comparisons that require multiple sessions.

Oh sorry hope you like vacuum :) can my 1200d do the 60fps VGA? Ive got a qh5-ii was thinking of getting LRGB for colour

No, sorry, as far as I know only the 550D and the 60D have the 60fps crop mode. Some newer ones have the "digital zoom" mode, which records at 1080p, but it is not 1:1 pixel resolution so it is not as good. The other solution of course is to use something like the free EOS Camera Movie Record program and record your live-view at 5x zoom. Not sure about the framerate, but it will give you a 1:1 pixel view.

Archived