Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellarium Issue?

Hello, I have a regular Samsung Laptop with Windows 7 and hundreds of free GB.

I just went to Stellarium.org and tried to install the 64 bit, it told me that it isn't compatible and that I must use 32 bit, so I did.

Once I downloaded 32 bit Stellarium, I finished the installation and everything went smoothly, however when I click on the Desktop Icon, this message appears and it doesn't allow me to proceed:

See link:   http://prntscr.com/6i75sf

It basically says "No OpenGL 2 found on this system. Please upgrade hardware or use MESA or an older version."

Why is it saying that and what does that even mean?

And what should I do?

Will follow this thread with interest as we had a very similar issue with a vanilla Win 7 Toshiba laptop - tried everything I could think of to get it to work and in the end installed Cartes Du Ciel instead

hope you get it sorted

I'm unaware about graphic drivers, etc.  I'll try different solutions. It shouldn't be too difficult. 

Hi There,

It is possible that you have a 32bit version of W7. Download Stellarium v12.5 and see how that works. Else as above you will need to update your graphics driver.

I couldn't find v12.5, but I did find v0.12.3 and it's downloading right now.

I'll post my progress once the installation is complete. Be back soon.  :icon_compress:  :laugh2:

Just finished v12.3, again, installation ran smoothly but another message when clicked..

"Your platform does not support minimal required OpenGL 1.2. Please upgrade drivers for graphics card."

Similar message, some problem.  :happy3: Why is it not working?

My Laptop is a Samsung R522, Info: http://www.trustedreviews.com/Samsung-R522---15-6in-Notebook-review

I don't want to change any of the objects in the laptop and and I don't want to buy anything. There must be a reason?  <_<

Hi There,

Stellarium 12.3 runs fine on my little lenovo netbook. I suspect that not all the previous install has been removed. Go into control panel and use the un-install to remove all versions of stellarium. Then re-run the download package for v12.3. Let me know how you get on.

We will get it working for you.

We had a similar problem with minecraft, what I found was that the microsoft supplied graphics drivers were a bit minimal in terms of functionality.

When I installed the drivers from intel (in our case a thinkpad laptop with intel on board graphics) I was able to choose a driver which included openGL.

I suppose the most common laptop graphics would be intel or nvidia - try their web sites and get the driver installers from them.

I don't really know much about this stuff. What exactly is a driver? Is it a tool or just something installed online for free?

If it's a download, can someone tell me where I can download it?

In terms of the v12.3, I'm pretty sure i had already went to control panel to uninstall the new ones first, however, I will try again tomorrow. (It's 2AM for me right now)

I'll post my progress soon.

Think of a driver as software for various pieces of hardware in your laptop. The processor or the graphics card for example. Every so often they need updating just like Windows does.

After a quick google this is the 32 bit version of the driver I think you're looking for:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22163/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-Driver-Windows-7-Windows-Vista-zip-

and this is the 64 bit:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22166/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-Driver-Windows-7-64-Windows-Vista-64-zip-

Please make sure you download the right driver for your operating system, it will be one or the other. If you go into control panel/system you will be able to see if your OS is 32 or 64 bit. It's advisable to set a system restore point before installing a new driver in case there's a problem.

I just installed the 32bit driver, removed all traces of Stellarium, and re-installed v12.3 and voila, it works fine!

Props to cuivenion for giving the driver and damnut for mentioning an older version of the software.

Now, time to go figure Stellarium out!  :laugh2:

Good Job!,..

When you install stellarium it puts a couple (up to three) of ssystem.ini files (spelt correctly) in different folders.If you have tried to install different versions, unless you specify the install directory you often get this. So clearing it all out is a good place to go!, and ensuring you have an up to date driver helps :smiley:

Archived