Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Maximum focal length eyepiece for ED80

pluton

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does depends on what you want to view, I find the lunar surface detail better with the 80mm than I did with the 9.25SCT :smiley: You also have the option of the Quark for summer viewing with the refractor :smiley:

Regarding the ED80, my Skyliner will no doubt go into its Summer hibernation soon, due to the longer, brighter nights, therefore not so good for a scope dedigned for DSO.

The Skyliner has been tagged as being the UKs most popular Dobsonian?

I have seen many references to the ED80, and it has been on one of my wanted lists, for some time!

What is considered as the UKs most popular Refractor telescope, and how much will the image scale differ between the two scopes. If I were to purchase a Refractor, I want the image to be bigger in the eyepiece than my Skyliner offers.

I'd keep on using the 8" dob. To get a larger image scale you would need something like an 8" SCT and the detail won't be any better.

I found my Skyliner 200P an excellent planetary scope as well as having some decent DSO capabilities. No wonder they get recommended so often :smiley:

Thanks.......I know more aperture will give me a brighter image and subsequently more detail on my Newtonian, and therefore the reason I would upgrade the Skyliner, but a large apertured APO does not come cheap, but thats not the real issue, I just want to see a much bigger image in the eyepiece. The mention of a longer focal length is noted.

For ease of use and just viewing the Moon and Planets, I thought a Refractor may be an option, especially the Planets. I wont buy a Refractor if Im getting the same size of image, say of Jupiter, that I get now with the Skyliner. In that case, a newer, larger Newt/Dob is/should be the next upgrade!

More magnification is needed for a larger e.g. Jupiter in the eyepiece. More magnification is limited by seeing. assuming good seeing you have more chance of using more magnification with more aperture. In my experience, view of moon and planets is always better through a large newt. We are going off topic though.

Cheers Moonshane, yes a little of topic, appologies, but pertinent to the ED80 I feel, if I were to make the purchase.

That said, from this topic, I have settled my issue /understanding with my image scale. Something triggered? all makes sense now.

Thanks for the replies.

Archived