Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planning a brick pier

iamjulian

I've been given permission for a pier in the garden and luckily the best spot in terms of sky view is available - between the washing line post and the raised beds.

12561215833_197198b827_c.jpg

The silver birch in the photograph is no longer there, but obviously its roots are.  As part of the renovation of that part of the garden, my wife asked me to pull out the metal washing line post so that we can have one of those spinning things instead.  Long story short, I had a bit of a dig at the weekend and a reasonably wide concrete base means that post is going nowhere! 

I had a lightbulb moment and am now thinking of building a pier around it.  Chop off the post at the desired height. Build a brick pier around it (one and a half bricks square would leave a roughly 10cm hole, in the centre of which will be the washing line pole acting as a piece of rebar.  On it's own, the post vibrates like crazy, but it isn't wobbling at the base.  If I drill the post and put big nails or screws through it at regular intervals, then fill the void in the bricks with concrete. 

I am wondering how best to do the foundation for the bricks.  I need to read up on types of brick, damp proof courses, foundations and so on.  Or am I over complicating it?  Level the surface, build up the bricks, and then fill the centre hole with concrete - enough?

Thanks for any thought/advice.  Shall update this thread as the thing takes shape!

My worry about brick piers is that a crack in the mortar joints somewhere might cause my scope(s) to fall off!

An understandable fear but surely an unfounded one. Houses weighing many tons sit on brick piers without a problem so providing the pier is constructed well I don't foresee any problems :)

• 3 weeks later...

An understandable fear but surely an unfounded one. Houses weighing many tons sit on brick piers without a problem so providing the pier is constructed well I don't foresee any problems :)

I see your point but as you say, the brick piers that houses sit on have many tons holding them in place. A raw egg is strong if you apply pressure in the right direction. I have seen many brick walls that can be pushed over because the mortar has separated from the bricks - my parents front garden wall is a prime example. Freeze/thaw action could cause one or two courses of bricks to separate and then any movement of the mount/scope could cause the whole assembly to topple off of the pier. So I see lazer_jock99's point too. Sitting on the fence...me! :grin:

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I used a 10" Diameter steel pipe with a flange at one end obtained from a scrapyard which they obliged by cutting me a length of 6ft. Installed 2ft in the ground in concrete and  filled three quarters of the pipe with concrete Also made 1/4 thick alloy plate to fit the flange secured by 15mm nuts & Bolts. This is drilled to match the EQ6 Mount. Very sturdy results. Total work took just under 2 hours plus setting time. The Pipe cost me £20 (being scrap) The Alloy plate obtainable on the net which was easy to drill with a domestic drill was £22 and I used 3x56lbs of ready mix.

I am not particulary handy.

Cheers Hope this helps Dave

Archived