SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What sort of views can I expect to see from a 130mm scope?

As I'm looking at buying my first telescope I want to know what I'll be able to see with it. The one I've been looking at is the Sky-Watcher Explorer 130P (EQ2) It has an f/ of f/5. Is this an adequate specification to view fainter objects such as the Orion Nebula? If anyone has photos from the same spec telescope I'd love to see how yours look. 

The scope I've seen: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-explorer-130p.html

Wow, both links have been incredibly helpful. You've answered my question fully and cleared up some other questions I had. 12 Dimensional String is truly fascinating. Thank you everyone.

If it is too much hassle to take the telescope from where it is stored to where it would be used might put a damper on any of those grab and go between cloud sessions.

Getting to a astro shop ot astro meet can help with size and what can see expectations.

I know yeah, hundreds of them. I was just wondering, how 'accurate' is Floater's link? As in is that really how they look through a scope? As I'm a beginner I really have no idea.

I know yeah, hundreds of them. I was just wondering, how 'accurate' is Floater's link? As in is that really how they look through a scope? As I'm a beginner I really have no idea.

Essentially, what the 12dstring provides is an estimation of field of view (the extent of observed field at any given moment at the eyepiece) using Hubble or AP images of the given object. But this cannot be equated with what the object will actually look like at the eyepiece.

The beautiful colours and extraordinary detail you see of nebulae or galaxies in these type of astrophotos are only visible in astrophotos. When observing galaxies or nebulae, for example, at the eyepiece, you will generallly see them in differing shades of grey, black and white. Your eye is simply incapable of detecting colour in very dim light. The dimmest light your eye can see is green, so it is possible that some very bright nebulae, such as the Orion Nebula, show a greenish tint but other than that only very bright objects, like the stars, Mars, Saturn and Jupiter, are bright enough to exhibit colour.

Personally, I feel the best place to get an idea of what you will see is to read the link provided by Swamp Thing and to check out sketches in the observing reports section and the sketching section.

The qualification from Qualia (Rob doesn't have the alliteration) is well made.

Please note my use of "erudition/fun" when I pointed to the 12dstring site. It's only a guide - but all guides are useful to those, like me, finding their way.

I repeat, Rob's thread is seminal.

Archived