Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging the eclipse ST80 + dslr

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can not see how you can use ATP if you only going to take one sub every 10 mins , with the camera on the sensor temperature is going thouth the roof +25 or moor you have to turn it on and off to keep it down ,Edit or do it only do this when live view is on.

I can not see how you can use ATP if you only going to take one sub every 10 mins , with the camera on the sensor temperature is going thouth the roof +25 or moor you have to turn it on and off to keep it down ,Edit or do it only do this when live view is on.

Not shure if i understand.

At my test day this weekend i took a sub every 5 seconds for 55 minutes. The camera did not get to hot during that time. Maby in liveview "when the sensor is open all the time", it would get hotter.

The solarfilter removes 99 % of the light or so, and a lot of heat. The test expotiures where taken at 1/8 shutterspeed. I tried to take picture of the moon once and then i was using faster shutterspeed.

Maby brighness don't translate directly to heat in this way, but nothing got werry hot with the solarfilter on. It's made so you can observe the sun, and i guess the camera can handle more heat than your eyes.

So if anyone wants to see my rehersal for tomorrow, i'll add it here.

First about how i made the timelapse.

1. When selecting the raw files in pipp, select the solar option. it sets som presets to make things easyer.

2. In the Object Detection Threshold, don't leave it in auto. Or the sky around the sun will be seen as an object and will not center well.

post-42115-0-88913800-1426776511_thumb.j

post-42115-0-72455700-1426776513.jpg

3. I tried at 75 and got a nice round sun in the good images, but seams like the images with clouds was a bit off center

post-42115-0-03466900-1426776513.jpg

4. In the Output options select AVI and with compression. I tried without and got a 4.5GB move of 28 seconds. "Very laggy"

post-42115-0-27084300-1426776514_thumb.j

5. Creating a AVI with all the images takes quite some time. If you make a AVI without compression then making new versions with different framerate, rotation og compression takes a short amount of time.

I made two versions of the test. One with 24fps and one with 12fps. The frames where taken every 5 second and the 24fps version looks "fast forward".

I could not upload AVI files here, so i made a link to the sun test.

The files are ~14MB so should be fast to download :)

Looks like i'ts going to rain here tomorrow, so i might just watch it on TV....

i was wondering if the object centering would still work when the sun's got chunks missing out of it, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it - I figure that if I have that problem tomorrow, I'll be a happy bunny !

Actually there is an option in PIPP that might help here:

post-9259-0-88518700-1426782056_thumb.pn

This option is intended for lunar imaging where it tells PIPP which part of the moon is in shadow so PIPP uses the other edges for centring.  This option should (might) also work for partial solar eclipse images if you specify the side of the sun that goes missing instead of the side in shadow.  It has to be worth a try anyway.

Cheers,

Chris

I was thinking I could setup my astrotrac and use that, and automate a series of captures... but it looks like the clouds are going to roll in around 0800 :( of course. So will just go manual, and get any shots that might present themselves.

been double checking all equipment for tomorrow

my 80 will be set up to image with the canon mounted using BYEOS mix of video and imaging on the big mount

the 200 will set up for visual on the EQ5 most likely in manual mode ( I plan to track the moon as there is no setting to track the sun using the handset)
both have Baader filters and I have some friends coming round as well

the most stupid question I had last week was "Do you think you will get a clear night to see the Eclipse"
and this was from someone I considered to be quite intelligent up till that point  :laugh:

Archived