Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

All change..... well sort of.

....My SW ED100 would be threatened by a Tele Vue 102, not that I am in any way disappointed with the SW, it's a very nice frac. But I think the TV102 would be a destination.

8 inch frac is for the lotto win :laugh: Wonder what sort of goto mount one of those would need?

I've often coveted a TV 102 when they come up for sale but, while the build quality would be superior, I'm not convinced that I'd gain anything over my ED102SS Vixen and at F/6.5 that can do things than the TV 102 can't.

Likewise I was considering selling my ED120 at one point to buy a much more expensive but still used Astro Physics Starfire 120. I posted a query on another forum asking how the optical quality of the two scopes might compare and the overwhelming advice was that I'd notice little or nothing optically although I'd have the qudos of owning an AP. So I resisted the temptation.

Buildwise the Skywatcher ED scopes are functional but nothing special but I do feel that the objectives in them are very good :smiley:

Maybe one day I'll ask Mark at Moonraker to build me something special around my ED120 objective ? :evil:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have decided it might be time for a refinement to my line up, I have way to many scopes, nearly all of them are looking for caring new owners, I plan on having just 2, maybe 3 at a push. I will be keeping the star wave, if the 150 pro sells I may well get a C8 its, and maybe the 130p da

Not a bad idea with the Moonraker :laugh:  They look so cool.

The reason for the TV102 would be a lot to do with build quality and being a hopeless TV fan :rolleyes:

Less so the optics but it would not surprise me if there was a very slight touch more contrast and sharpness with the TV. My ED100 has held up pretty well against my Tele Vue 85 and does make its extra aperture tell :laugh:

I've often coveted a TV 102 when they come up for sale but, while the build quality would be superior, I'm not convinced that I'd gain anything over my ED102SS Vixen and at F/6.5 that can do things than the TV 102 can't.

Likewise I was considering selling my ED120 at one point to buy a much more expensive but still used Astro Physics Starfire 120. I posted a query on another forum asking how the optical quality of the two scopes might compare and the overwhelming advice was that I'd notice little or nothing optically although I'd have the qudos of owning an AP. So I resisted the temptation.

Buildwise the Skywatcher ED scopes are functional but nothing special but I do feel that the objectives in them are very good :smiley:

Maybe one day I'll ask Mark at Moonraker to build me something special around my ED120 objective ? :evil:

Not a bad idea with the Moonraker :laugh:  They look so cool.

The reason for the TV102 would be a lot to do with build quality and being a hopeless TV fan :rolleyes:

Less so the optics but it would not surprise me if there was a very slight touch more contrast and sharpness with the TV. My ED100 has held up pretty well against my Tele Vue 85 and does make its extra aperture tell :laugh:

This is an interesting read Luke:

http://doctordreviews.com/4inch-shootout.html

i agree with your thoughts shane. i to had a few eps and a full set of bgo,s sold all of them and bought my current line up probably only had to put 100 quid to it all. i think one ethos covers quite few eps ,well thats my thoughts :smiley: love them to bits

This is an interesting read Luke:

http://doctordreviews.com/4inch-shootout.html

Thanks, John, that's an interesting read, I'll do some further research if it gets close to pulling any trigger. I find my TV85 to be slightly sharper and more contrasty than my ED100 at similar mag, but the ED100 resolves finer detail. Though I do wear a Tele Vue baseball cap so I may have a slight bias.

:blob1:

This won't be happening any time soon though, alas. My main thing is solar and the SW100 performs very well indeed with the Quark, it's hard to imagine the view being much better.

The dob though could happen sooner if we decided to let our 16 inch dob go and an OO came up second hand. I am just wondering whether 12 is a good compromise between the 10 and 16, if that makes any sense. Downsize from two tubes to one. We are a bit limited on space and with Sarah's newer hobby (detracts from combined astro funds, bohoo!) I think she could fill the gap easily! :eek:

Archived