Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunt with Quark Versus Quark with 80mm Equinox

Pig

I know the Quark comes with a power adapter and there is an optional battery pack ..... does anybody know if can be run from a 12v supply.

That way it could be powered from the leisure battery that runs the mount.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Antares .5x reducer is working good to lower my mag for my constantly changing skies. I have both .75" and 1" spacers but the .75 works a bit better @ .67x mag. This gives me a 47mm fl equivalent, and in poor seeing it makes a pretty big difference at 58x mag. I would use Daystars battery pack as then there can be no warranty issues if something did happen! My Quark is holding heat well in some challenging conditions, I just use the included wall adapter so far.

If you have an inkling that you might observe, there is no harm plugging the battery in beforehand. The quark doesn't have to be in the scope to heat up.

Just a suggestion.

Exactly.  I have a rechargeable phone-booster battery pack (brand is Anker) that was recommended by Astrograph.net, who supplied my Quark.  If it looks vaguely sunny, with any blue patches approaching, I plug in the Quark while setting up a scope, and it's easily up to temperature by the time the blue patch arrives.  If the weather is doing its "sunny periods" stuff, then I often leave the Quark powered up for a whole morning/afternoon, and nip out whenever I see the shadows in the garden start to sharpen up.  I've been pretty surprised at how quickly the Quark does seem to come up to temperature - typically 9 or 10 minutes - but you can look through it and find an image sooner than that.  Even my wife's been impressed with the views, although she knows it wasn't "just another adapter…"!

Interesting thread - thanks folks - as I've been wondering about complementing the Quark with a Lunt in due course, and curious as to how they'd behave if used together.

Cheers

Simon   

• 2 weeks later...

Archived