NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quark versus Lunt 60mm First light

Pig

Ok a few of you guys have asked me to write a review comparing the two set ups so here goes :shocked:

As you will be aware if you have read one of my reviews before there will no frills and spills 

I apologise in advance if some points disappoint you because you own the equipment used in the review. I always review equipment as I see it.

The review is about what you can see and not the quality of the equipment.

The review is my opinion only and I have no connections with the producers of the equipment.

Seeing 7-10 if you ignore the clouds

Mount - Side by side set up on the Giro WR ---- All is on an equal footing for this comparison with both set ups point directly at the sun at the same time

Set up 1

Lunt 60mm Vixen SLV 9mm eyepiece - Total cost £900 second hand (new eyepiece)

Set up 2

Equinox 80mm Quark Chromosphere TV 32mm plossl - 2" IR/UV filter Total cost approx. £1.5k all new

Full disk

Both set ups achieve a full disk, the Lunt has 10% spare space around the disk, the Equinox has almost 0% but it does fit in.

Note - I could not fit a whole disc and the huge prominence,that is in the 1 O'clock position today, in the Quarks FOV

Prominences

The Lunt is excellent delivers very detailed and contrasty prominences and it did not disappoint today..... Bang the Quark is better by quite a margin, the prominences are bigger with better contrast and detail,  my first wow in quite some time

Surface detail ( spots, proms, granulation, filaments  etc....)

The Lunt delivers excellent surface detail and no one would be disappointed with what is visible .......Bang the Quark is better by quite a margin I will even give it another wow....wow :grin: its fantastic

What would I recommend if I was new to solar

The Quark would be my choice if I had no solar set up.

Cons with the Quark -

Waiting for it  to reach temperature (4 minutes for me..not bad at all) so you may miss the sun whilst setting up due to the gaps in the clouds

The unit requires power to use it ...I have the solar powered power-pack so no issues with this for me

Cons with the Lunt

None really apart from the fact the Quark is better and cheaper.

I didn't get time to try the Quark in the Lunt to determine if it is capable of double stacking but I will do as soon as I get the chance.

Shaun

Cheers Gerry, I too am looking forward to the Quark in the Lunt .... It may not even work though :laugh:

I found the centre the best position (12 O'clock).However, I only had time to go 1 click either side before the sun went away - Oh no  ...  I am starting to talk about clicks like the others ..Dolphin speak :shocked:

Thank you Michael, I am most impressed with mine and I cant blame you for wanting one.... almost photographic views when you position yourself comfortably and stare hard :grin:

I do plan to have a quark one day just for the versatility of being able to go larger in aperture for relatively nothing compared to similar sized Ha scopes.

An interesting read but I would have like to know how a quark in a 60mm scope would fair against a LS60. I know in white light a small increase of 20mm aperture can make a difference http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/230932-sorry-to-have-ever-doubted-you-moonshane/

I totally agree Spaceboy, apples for apples etc .....  :smiley: but if you flip the coin an 80mm Lunt is approx  £3k and for half that cost, including a decent 80mm refractor, you will be getting some pretty spectacular views the likes of which I haven't seen before :smiley:

Dude,

I couldn't tell you as I have never used a B1200, from what I have read the 1200 is more suited to AP as it is darker .... and costs a whole heap more :grin: 

Have you compared the 600 & 1200 before as I would be very interested in hearing about the differences ? :smiley:

I do plan to have a quark one day just for the versatility of being able to go larger in aperture for relatively nothing compared to similar sized Ha scopes.

An interesting read but I would have like to know how a quark in a 60mm scope would fair against a LS60. I know in white light a small increase of 20mm aperture can make a difference http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/230932-sorry-to-have-ever-doubted-you-moonshane/

I can't say for the Lunt but for the SolarMax 60 folks, I compared my SolarMax 60 side by side against a Quark and Tele Vue 60.

Single stack SM60, the Quark and TV60 was better, partly because of no obvious sweet spot (no need to move proms to centre for better view - full disc on a day with proms all around is gorgeous). Contrast, similar.

Double stack SM60, I call it a draw. SM60 has better contrast, Quark has no obvious sweet spot.

Not a huge amount in it all in all. The winner for me as grab and go? Quark.

I take my kit to work every day for solar lunch and I like to do white light too. Dead handy that I need to take just one scope. And on hols I do a bit of lunar and deep sky too, and the Plossls for Quark work well for wide views with the TV60, I saw the North American Nebula for the first time and another first, the entire Veil in the view.

Thank you Yong :laugh:

The reviews have been pretty positive for the Chromosphere model so the coins will be jingling in pockets.

Dude,

It would be nice to see how the two compare side by side (600 & 1200)

to be honest apart of FOV i doubt there will be much of a difference.So far as i know,B600 has 6mm opening and B1200 is 12mm(call it a field stop),as such the FOV is larger in B1200.Is there a difference in quality of views i dont know,never compared the two.As i said,solar is not my primary object,been only a casual sort of solar observer.Not even sure will i carry on with solar or not lol.

Thank you so much for putting this together, Shaun.

I've been waiting almost a month for your report and in a few short lines, you've effectively tipped the scale for me. I already had the good words of Stu and Luke to go on but when I heard you were going to get the Quark, I felt I ought to wait for your own insights and hear one last opinion from an experienced, loveable and sound observer before knowing what to do.

If all goes well, sometime next week I will drop a line to one of the astro shops in Europe and get myself on the waiting list (around 1 to 3 weeks) for the Chromosphere Quark, 2" UV/IR cut, power pack and 32mm TV Plossl (which will almost complete my set). That gear along with the TV 76 and AZ4 will make for my H-alpha set up whilst I'll use the Tal 100rs, Lunt Wedge and CG5 for white light.

Thanks again for taking the time to write up your straight and honest opinion, Shaun. It'll be quite a joy to have a decent solar set up in Spain for it is quite often sunny here :grin:

Thank you Rob, very kind and appreciated words indeed  :laugh: especially as they are from the peoples poet :grin:

Paired with your TV 76 I am sure you will be in for a treat, I know how much you love the sun and I am sure your eye balls will pop out of their sockets :shocked: I look forward to seeing your Ha & prom drawings.

The summer sun will look fantastic :smiley:

Archived