Largest 1.25 EP for moon viewing?

Puglets

32mm plossl, look up GSO or Revelation eyepieces.

With a 32mm plossl you will get 0.78 to 0.79 degree field, as the moon is about half a degree it will all just fit in.

Equally a 25mm BST Starguider or X-Cel will deliver much the same, about 0.74 degrees.

Your 25mm eyepiece should enable you to just about fit the Moon in - it gives a .63 degree true field which is a little larger than the apparent diameter of the Moon. A 32mm plossl will give you a bit more leeway though.

+1 for Stellarium ( desktop has more functions but the mobile app is good too). I've gone over to Sky Safari 4 lately - that and Mobile Observatory are good resources - use em a lot. There's also an app called (IIRC) Solar System Scope that is very nice. All on Android via the Play Store. They work well on my Galaxy III (no prizes! )

And to think when I first got a smartphone, I thought Google Stars was the bees knees!

Link to a great ep resource:

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php

Have fun!

......Link to a great ep resource:

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php

Have fun!

Thats an interesting tool and is often linked to on the forum but, in my opinion, it does not accurately present comparisons between eyepieces of the same focal length with different fields of view.

The simulator keeps the field size the same but shrinks or expands the target object proportionally depending on whether the eyepiece selected has a larger or smaller field of view than the previous one being simulated. In the real world the edges of the field of view expand or contract depending on the eyepiece apparent field while the target object stays the same apparent size to the observer.

This may sound a small point but it does mean that the simulator is not always accurately portraying what the observer would see when comparing eyepieces of the same focal length but differing apparent fields.

Thats an interesting tool and is often linked to on the forum but, in my opinion, it does not accurately present comparisons between eyepieces of the same focal length with different fields of view.

The simulator keeps the field size the same but shrinks or expands the target object proportionally depending on whether the eyepiece selected has a larger or smaller field of view than the previous one being simulated. In the real world the edges of the field of view expand or contract depending on the eyepiece apparent field while the target object stays the same apparent size to the observer.

This may sound a small point but it does mean that the simulator is not always accurately portraying what the observer would see when comparing eyepieces of the same focal length but differing apparent fields.

Good point John. I had wondered at some of the simulations but not known the reason. Thanks.

Archived