Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade 4000 26mm better than Skywatcher 25mm Plossl in f4?

LittleSkink

thanks folks, figured it wasnt a big difference - I "accidentally" ordered a Skywatcher 25mm from Astroboot when I meant to order a 26mm Meade - put them both in the Cart to check them out in google and then deleted wrong one (house was full of ankle biters and I messed up)

southernman - what is it that makes you prefer the SW?

Optically both were very similar but the SW seemed better in use for eye placement and I felt the build quality was marginally better. Since then I have purchased 2nd hand a Meade 5000 26mm plossl (60 degree AFOV) which to my tired old eyes is a step up from either the Meade 4000 26mm plossl or the SW 25mm. Hope that helps.

Peter

Well the SW 25mm Plossl has had some use in the f4 100p and is definitely better than the SW25 mm MA in terms of contrast (noticeably), resolution (just) and comfort in use - I wear glasses to observe and can see the full field of view in the Plossl but not the MA

Downsides are both eyepieces show noticeable astigmatism for the outer c25% of the field (in f4 remember) and, so far I cant see any improvement in the Plossl (mostly because everything else was better so I had no intention of going back to the MA but I will try again another time), but given the Plossl shows me more of the field of view it may actually be somewhat better. To be fair the astigmatism isn't so bad it prevents navigation but it would make it pointless to try imaging 

Archived