Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sutton Bank at last. Just like being a kid again.....

Hi all. Well after moving house and all that it entails, I finally got back to the sky again last night. Even bothered to take a trip to Sutton Bank. Fantastic viewing. Only had an hour an a half to spare, but catching a wonderful crescent moon, Venus, Mars, Uranus (a first!!!!), Jupiter, Orion Nebula, 2 meteors & 1 satellite, I was pretty breathless. Telrad worked a treat (with homemade dew shield). Only complaint was freezing feet!

Will be getting back up the Bank soon - very much worth the half hour trip - nice and quiet up there too, so few problems avoiding car headlights stealing my night vision!

Need to work on polar alignment - still haven't got it fully sussed......any advice gratefully received.

Now I remember why I love this hobby!

I have observed at Sutton Bank on a number of occasions with other Astronomers and although it is good, there is a feeling that light pollution from the Northallerton area and passing vehicles is having some effect on the site. One or two have pointed out that there are better skies to be had, by finding a spot three or four miles back along the top road. Something that maybe worthwhile investigating, next time anyone is in the area :)

Best location I know of along the west side of the North York Moors is the road from Kepwick up on to the Drove Road a few miles south of Black Hambleton. It is a dead end, so no passing traffic and decent distance from the lights of Thirsk and Northallerton. Wouldn't drive up it if there was ice forecast though, unless I was in a 4x4

Best location I know of along the west side of the North York Moors is the road from Kepwick up on to the Drove Road a few miles south of Black Hambleton. It is a dead end, so no passing traffic and decent distance from the lights of Thirsk and Northallerton. Wouldn't drive up it if there was ice forecast though, unless I was in a 4x4

Thanks for the tip Nigel. To be honest, I'm so used to a haze from Teesside that Sutton Bank seemed pretty darned dark!

Is the place you mean North or South of Kepwick? Plenty of single track around those parts!

It's the road east from Kepwick that climbs upto the Drove Road and then down towards Hawnby (OS Grid reference where it crosses the Drove Road is SE 48953 91476). It's metalled and in reasonable condition for normal cars as far as the Drove Road and then deteriorates from there on (although it is apparently legally still a road....). There are a couple of gates to open, and it's not a place to break down if you're alone

Mind you, at least there aren't any doggers to pester you, unlike the car park at the bottom of Black Hambleton.... The 8" Newt, laptop, mount etc next to the car didn't seem to give them any hints as to what I was doing on the Moors at 1 AM.....

Hi all. Well after moving house and all that it entails, I finally got back to the sky again last night. Even bothered to take a trip to Sutton Bank. Fantastic viewing. Only had an hour an a half to spare, but catching a wonderful crescent moon, Venus, Mars, Uranus (a first!!!!), Jupiter, Orion Nebula, 2 meteors & 1 satellite, I was pretty breathless. Telrad worked a treat (with homemade dew shield). Only complaint was freezing feet!

Will be getting back up the Bank soon - very much worth the half hour trip - nice and quiet up there too, so few problems avoiding car headlights stealing my night vision!

Need to work on polar alignment - still haven't got it fully sussed......any advice gratefully received.

Now I remember why I love this hobby!

Sounds like you went home with a smile on your face! Nice to know someone is not too far away (I'm near Ripon). I'm told the views are darker west of you not East? I'm happy with my garden to be honest.

Archived