Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

qhy8L help

jaygpoo

hi guys. I have had my QHY8L for a year now with no problems until now. I have just set up with a clear sky and the qhy8l temp reading is 100c with the temp set on auto as I  have always done the power level drops back to 0 and nothing changes. I have started  again wiring up and restarting the software but the temp is still the same? should I pack up or use it? as the temp should be -20c . The camera does not feel hot.Any ideas please

Hi

Hmm... not sure what's going on there. I use APT for image capture and cooling control. FWIW I connect my qhy8l as follows:

Cooler control to qhy8l - connected but power is off (My cooler controller cable to camera is always connected unless I remove the camera from the scope)

Run APT

Connect usb cable

+5v led comes on

Connect to camera in APT

Set cooler off (otherwise it starts rapid cooling... )

Plug power jack into cooler controller (camera cooler fan starts)

All leds are now on

Run cooling routine in APT

Powering down:

Run warming routine in APT

When done, set cooler off in APT

Disconnect camera in APT

Unplug power jack from cooler controller (all but +5v leds are off)

Unplug usb cable

+5v led is now off.

If things get screwy then it's probably better to switch everything off and start from scratch though you obviously have to be careful to not cause thermal shock if you can help it but I guess it might be unavoidable in some circumstances.

Hope that helps

Louise

Hi Louise,

If you enable "Settings->Advanced->Stop initial cooling" when you make a connection APT will turn-on the cooling, but will set the cooling point to be equal to the current one. This will prevent further cooling :)

Hi Jaypoo,

Are all 4 lights on the Tec control box all lit & is the QHY8L fan working.

Are you connecting it in the right sequence as discussed in the manual.

Have you connected the lead from the tec control box to the camera correctly. The Choke (the cylindrical object behind one of the connectors on the lead) should be attached to the Tec control box.

If all lights are not lit on the Tec control, check the pins on both ends of the lead.

If you think it may be a software problem. Fire up the QHY8l with it's supplied software and check the temp control on that.

Hope you get it up and working

Steve

Hi Louise,

If you enable "Settings->Advanced->Stop initial cooling" when you make a connection APT will turn-on the cooling, but will set the cooling point to be equal to the current one. This will prevent further cooling :)

Hi Ivo

I have that set but as it still comes up cooler on, I've always then set it to off. I didn't realise how it worked but now you've explained - thanks. I guess it doesn't make much difference really.

Louise

Hi Ivo

I have that set but as it still comes up cooler on, I've always then set it to off. I didn't realise how it worked but now you've explained - thanks. I guess it doesn't make much difference really.

Louise

You are right that, the cooler is turned on, but there is no active cooling ;)

APT just keeps the current temperature of the camera...

Thanks as always for your time and thoughts. Well I took everything down and started again and much to my surprise (you've guessed ) it started as it always had done but I am none the wiser as to what was going on in the first place to cause me such panic thinking my prized ccd was about to blow up!!  The little extra tips are always welcome in any case to the learning curve increases.  Jay

Archived