Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quark tuning position

Stu

I thought I would start this to gather opinions and info about which setting people are using and when.

I will confess to having a slightly random attitude to the tuning knob, it often stays at centre position, but I am yet to develop a full understanding of where to get best images. It seems to me a couple of clicks either side is normally all that is needed.

Thoughts and comments please. I'd love to be a bit more informed about it

Good question, Stu.

The funny thing is all the talk of is tuning a pain on the Quark, until very recently, I spent precisely 0 seconds tuning my current two, just left them on default and views looked decent so I stayed there. Same setting every time, all scopes. I did tinker with the older Quarks, two to three clicks clockwise seemed best to my eyes.

Quark 1 I have now started experimenting with, I have moved from central to two clicks clockwise, which I think is a bit better, but I need to do imaging tests. Quark 2 is still on default and the view is so good I don't feel the need to tinker with it. I probably should, just to see if it gets even better!

I should say, I have tried altering the tuning just to make sure the tuning does change, always best to check everything is working :laugh:

Stu, when you use your Quark does the best setting stay the same for each telescope, every time? Does tuning all one way or the other degrade the image?

Gerry, in my experience yes I do use the same setting on each scope. They all have good solid Focusers without any droop so that may help. I do find that at the extremes of adjustment the view is not as good.

Good question, Stu.

The funny thing is all the talk of is tuning a pain on the Quark, until very recently, I spent precisely 0 seconds tuning my current two, just left them on default and views looked decent so I stayed there. Same setting every time, all scopes. I did tinker with the older Quarks, two to three clicks clockwise seemed best to my eyes.

Quark 1 I have now started experimenting with, I have moved from central to two clicks clockwise, which I think is a bit better, but I need to do imaging tests. Quark 2 is still on default and the view is so good I don't feel the need to tinker with it. I probably should, just to see if it gets even better!

I should say, I have tried altering the tuning just to make sure the tuning does change, always best to check everything is working :laugh:

Thanks Luke, I'm glad it's not just me!! The centre setting works pretty well and I agree, a couple of clicks clockwise is all I tend to do

A couple of clicks.... it sounds a tad like dolphin speak  :grin: I can picture you both clicking away as your observing

On a more serious note. My Quark has been sent from SCS and should be here soon ..... hooray ....so please keep the info coming it might come in handy for me very soon :laugh:

Yes Luke, I got the Daystar solar powered type.  I know I could have got a cheaper option but I thought I would go for the one that they recommend. I also bought  a 2" UV/IR filter and a 32mm TV PLossl...... so I should be able to practice my clicks and join the clicking crew very soon :laugh:

I have tried experimenting with mine but never seem to have a long enough period of Sun, then think I'm wasting imaging time, may be better done in summer.

Not sure if my eyes would detect any improvement visually anyway.

Think I read somewhere it was something to do with red / blue shift as the Sun is so big you can't get a setting ideal for the whole disc.

Dave

Shaun you seem very prepared. Anybody would think you are excited  :grin:  (I had everything weeks before mine arrived, and had read the manual several times!!).

The only thing I can think of as a possible nice addition would be an eyeguard extender for the TV32 if you find you have to have a gap between your eye and the 32mm, and if it bothers you when you try it. We used ours for a while without and find the EP a little more comfy now that we have the extender.

You might be fine without it. It's a bit more marginal than the 40mm, which we have two extenders on. It's partly me being lazy too because sometimes I don't put a towel or whatever over my head to help with the contrast and in that case it really helps to not have a gap between the eye and the eyepiece.

Looking forward to your first light report. I think we are due some clear in March :rolleyes:

Archived