Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AC635 clarified - and good to go

Floater

Got in touch with Astroboot regarding my fears over the safety of the AC635 Herschel Wedge they are offering for sale and received a prompt and very considered reply from James Munson.

It turns out to be a false alarm caused by some muddle in an SGL thread some while ago when the wedge was wrongfully associated with an inferior eyepiece offered on eBay.

Have gone ahead and ordered the wedge and must give credit to Astroboot for taking the subject seriously and for taking the time to clarify the situation.

Yes, of course.

However, it's a shame that the original thread (from 2011, which I picked up on through Google) contained such a misleading link to what is an excellent piece of kit from Astro Engineering.  The mix-up is potentially damaging to the business of both AE and Astroboot and I am extremely disappointed if I have added any fuel to that particular fire.

It's worth going on record here to point out that James Munson, from Astroboot, went more than the extra mile to address my concerns and set the record straight. These are good people.

I repeat: the AC635 Herschel Wedge is good to go!

However, it's a shame that the original thread (from 2011, which I picked up on through Google) contained such a misleading link to what is an excellent piece of kit from Astro Engineering.  The mix-up is potentially damaging to the business of both AE and Astroboot and I am extremely disappointed if I have added any fuel to that particular fire.

It's worth going on record here to point out that James Munson, from Astroboot, went more than the extra mile to address my concerns and set the record straight. These are good people.

I repeat: the AC635 Herschel Wedge is good to go!

Steady now floater. Perhaps you have misread the thread from 2011. If there is a thread here at SGL giving false information regarding an Astro Engineering product sold at AstroBoot the retailer or manufacturer is welcome to contact us. We haven't heard from James Munson. We believe both AstroBoot and Astro Engineering (retailer and manufacturer) are owned by Robert Dalby? We haven't heard from him either. 

Perhaps it will help if you post a link to the thread here please. 

Not sure how to link but if you search for 'AC635 Herschel Wedge' you'll find the thread, titled 'These should not be sold anywhere'. In that thread Spaceboy posts a link to the AC635 but the wedge has nothing to do with the dangerous eyepieces being lambasted!

Hi Gordon,

I've had a dig, I think this is the thread you are referring to:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/102231-these-should-not-be-sold-anywhere/page-2

If you the thread through completely though, it's about an eBay 1.25" solar filter that is a dangerous when used incorrectly. The link to the Astro Engineering Hershel wedge is a positive link by Spaceboy suggesting that the solar filter to be used safely, needs to be used with the Hershel Wedge - there is nothing negative about the Hershel Wedge at all in that thread.

I can see why, if this thread wasn't read in it's entirety, it could give the wrong impression but the same could be said of countless threads on SGL that reading just one part out of context can give the wrong impression.

In this case, I have modified Spaceboys link so that it appears in his message rather than split across two pages - this will hopefully make the whole thread less confusing.

Cheers,

Grant

Thanks, Grant, and all the others who have put time into this.

I accept that I picked this up wrong. No point in making excuses about how easy it was to make that mistake - I got it wrong and that's that. I will now try to make amends with all concerned.

The upshot is that both the AC635 and Astroboot are without fault.

I, however, am not without fault. :-((

Archived