NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

These should not be sold ..... anywhere !

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just received one from Paul (Madhatter) for demo purposes. It seems it has a built in "safety feature": the thread is too large and far too coarse for it to be able to be screwed into an eyepiece. :eek:

I hoped we had seen the last of these dangerous things being sold ;)

Well spotted John :eek:

I think it was only last year that another retailer was offering them on Ebay, it is becoming an annual event!

I also sent in a message to stop selling.

It just goes to show what`s out there for the unsuspecting beginner.

When I started there was little to no advice about such things, luckily there is nowadays. In this instance health and safety triumphs over profits, thankfully!

Bob.

I spent some time convincing a photography retailer who dabbled in telescopes as a sideline to remove these filters. Good thing that SGL members intervened here!

Regarding demonstrating the danger of unprotected observations: when using solar projection on a slow refractor, just slap in a cheap EP (don't want smoke deposits on a good one), and hold a piece of paper in the exit pupil. I did this at my secondary school. The only drawback was some people then wanted to light their cigarette behind the scope :eek:. Beware plastic parts in the EP might melt (rams the point home as well).

These people crawl out of the ebay woodwork from time to time, some (as in this case) react promptly and sensibly, others don't, the others usually get the full works, all guns blazing

• 2 months later...

Archived