Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion with Skywatcher Star Adventurer.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Astroboy239 said:

Some more exposure could have shown the pacman nebula. 

Think i'll try again if & when the weather sorts itself out. Would doubling to 40 minutes exposure time be enough or is it the more the merrier? :D
Also any tips on "Darks" i.e. a ratio of Darks to Lights?

Just now, Astroboy239 said:

I want to buy a star adventurer, can you mount it on a camera tripod? 

I have mine mounted on a solid camera tripod. Removed the "Ball Head" and mounted the Wedge to that, then everything else in sequence. It held up quite well in moderate wind & not too bad a result.. it isn't dog proof though, found that out the hard way :D

How do I connect it to this? I am thinking of using a mobile powerbank used for my phone to power the star adventurer will it work? Which is the highest magnification I  can use with this? 

Varad 

IMG_20160516_202118.jpg

The SW SA comes with and adaption screw for the two sizes of screws used on ball heads or mounting plates (like what you have).
The Wedge would attach to that screw in the picture. Then make sure it is level.
Then the unit would attach to the wedge.
If you have the "L" bracket, that would attach to the clutch plate.
Ball head to the L Bracket.
Camera to the Ball head.

As for magnification, the most i've used so far in trials is 112mm (75mm x 1.6 as cropped sensor). I would have thought you could use quite a bit of magnification as long as you have good Polar Alignment.
Not sure if a mobile phone charger pack is enough to power it. Needs 5V (Volts).
Apparently can run up to 70+ hours just on batteries :D

Just now, Astroboy239 said:

Is the ball head adapter necessary? 

Good question. I asked in another thread about this. They informed me it would help as the camera can be pointed at any location.

2 minutes ago, Astroboy239 said:

Is the ball head adapter necessary? 

Good question. I asked in another thread about this. They informed me it would help as the camera can be pointed at any location.

2 minutes ago, Ash79 said:

I have that tripod that you have got Slynxx but I think its not to stable enough I think its the same anyway.

I've found the tripod to work rather well. I live on the southern coast UK so it gets pretty windy here. Holds its own quite well. As long as it can take 5 kilo plus, you should be ok! (Famous last words) :D

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of points, the better camera tripods allow for the removal of the head which gives a nice stable platform for mounting an SA. Mobile phone battery banks are fine for supplying power I even use a 4.8 AH one for my EQ3-2 mount the higher rated ones usually have dual outputs 5.1 V at 1A and 2A.

Alan

On 7/17/2016 at 23:53, Ash79 said:

Please show me how you do that

Just used the SW SA & then multiple shots at 75secs each. All was processed in Photoshop as I can't seem to get anything decent out of DSS. Was very lucky that everything fell into place. No lens fogging or drift in alignment.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived