Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion with Skywatcher Star Adventurer.

Many thanks to our Astro group chairman Gordon Mackie for letting me plonk my camera onto his Star Adventurer.

Single 340 second exposure,Canon 5dmk3,Canon 17-40L at 37mm,f4 and iso 1600.Taken from the very dark sky at Loch More,Caithness.

Think i might get one.

post-897-0-23125200-1423851482_thumb.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good shot. What did you think to the mount?

I didnt really get to have a good look at it but to get 340 seconds with a basic polar alignment is impressive ,I know it was only at 37 mm

but still thats pretty darn good.I reckon there was another couple of minutes there to be had.I'm hoping to get my 100-400l on one but i reckon 

a couple of minutes isnt being over optimistic.I was only at iso 1600 as well so in the event of only managing 1 minute i can easily put the iso up to 6400

with the Canon 5dmk3.

Its kinda rekindled my interest in astronomy/astrophotography because its been waning over the last year or so.

I love that image Stewart, it's amazing. I've just been identifying some things, Barnard's Loop, the Rosette and bottom left the seagull nebula. I don't think I've ever seen them in such a glorious widefield image before. so many stars. I can't work out what the red halo around Meissa is?

Ps just found it, it's the Lambda Orionis Molicular Ring

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/WISE/multimedia/gallery/pia14040_prt.htm

I didnt really get to have a good look at it but to get 340 seconds with a basic polar alignment is impressive ,I know it was only at 37 mm

but still thats pretty darn good.I reckon there was another couple of minutes there to be had.I'm hoping to get my 100-400l on one but i reckon

a couple of minutes isnt being over optimistic.I was only at iso 1600 as well so in the event of only managing 1 minute i can easily put the iso up to 6400

with the Canon 5dmk3.

Its kinda rekindled my interest in astronomy/astrophotography because its been waning over the last year or so.

I bought this mount a couple of months ago and tried it out for the first time a few nights ago. My interest in astrophotography has also gotten a little lazy as of late. I had this little thing setup and imaging in no time at all. I got 5 min subs at 50mm. I also think it had more to give. The next test will be with the 200mm. Its give me the kick up the bum to get back out there. With so little equipment and easy setup it's put a bit of fun back into this hobby.

• 1 year later...

I have a question about the Star Adventurer.

Once Polar Aligned & ready to go. Can I just turn the ball head / Camera to any location in the night sky & it will stay locked to that position.. or is there any limits to where I can point it.
I'm asking as it's quite similar to an EQ setup, where as I've only owned an Alt Az SupaTrak & am not 100% with EQ's.
Thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, Slynxx said:

I have a question about the Star Adventurer.

Once Polar Aligned & ready to go. Can I just turn the ball head / Camera to any location in the night sky & it will stay locked to that position.. or is there any limits to where I can point it.
I'm asking as it's quite similar to an EQ setup, where as I've only owned an Alt Az SupaTrak & am not 100% with EQ's.
Thanks in advance.

Basically yes.

If you have the L bracket this can also be your DEC axis, it should be able to point anywhere.

5 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

Basically yes.

If you have the L bracket this can also be your DEC axis, it should be able to point anywhere.

Thanks for the reply. I do have the L Bracket, where I have placed the Ball Head then the camera to the ball head. Will give it a go.. when the skies are clear!

On 6/22/2016 at 11:01, Owmuchonomy said:

As Mike says.  Here is a picture of mine.

IMG_0360.JPG

That looks good.

Did you need to alter the top of the tripod in anyway?

Been thinking of getting an SA as a second setup as I have my old HEQ5 tripod.

I followed the pointers here & also that histogram stretching malarky! This was my result using the Star Adventurer. Cassiopeia.
Shot from my light polluted backyard, South Coast, UK.
20 x 60sec
ISO 1600
18-55mm @ 55mm
Canon 700d
No Darks
Photoshop

Star Trial 25-06-2016.jpg

On 6/30/2016 at 06:40, wxsatuser said:

Good first try

Have removed some of the LP.

cassietest.jpg

Thanks for pimping up my photo :D Not sure how to remove LP in Photoshop. (More learning)!! Seems to have revealed some hidden colour as well. Got to get my head around taking dark, bias frames etc. Hopefully that will help a little.... or sabotaging the local street lamps! Will try again when a good night decides to grace us in the UK.. (typical summer, rain)..

Archived