NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Not a spectacular one but an aurora nonetheless.

The red glow to the right is the gas flare from the Flotta oil terminal and Dunnet Head lighthouse is extreme right.

Vega is the star left of center.

1x30sec at iso 800

post-13543-133877339566_thumb.jpg

The wonderful views over the Pentland Firth :rolleyes:

Saturn5 you now have the responsibility of being the Northern Lights Correspondant :)

I remember those wonderful displays, maybe when the Sun wakes up again I might get the odd one here.

Lovely capture.

naz

Algol,it was taken for the shore at Thurso looking across to Orkney.

Thanks Naz,no dancing beams of light but it is nice to see something,there have been so few lately,but hopefully as you say,when the sun wakes up we'll get some spectacular ones,i do miss them and when they do occur i can quite happily sit back and watch them for hours. :colors:

When the sun is a bit more active aurora are really very common up here,this one ,being that its just a glow,i would assume that it was well north of the arctic circle.

Also didn't have that dancing beams of light or search light effect which is quite stunning.It was also quite faint and had to take a 30sec exposure to make the aurora stand out,15-20 sec would do for a bright display.

Got an Email alert from http://www.spaceweather.com/ incidating a good chance of aurora displays tonight.

Archived