Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

a few questions

I've got a few questions I hope you all can help me with.

I have a skywatcher 200p on an eq5 mount and I'm planning on buying a synscan goto upgrade for it as I don't have the budget to upgrade to a heq5 mount.

I'm wanting to just do some basic astrophotography from my back garden, it's slightly light polluted but that's fine for the time being as I get very little time to myself.

What I'd like to know is if it's possible to just use the mains in my house to power the upgrade Using a 12v power supply?

Does it track DSO's well?

Which would be the better option, a canon eos 600d using the zoom feature or just sticking with my 1100d and getting a x3 Barlow?

I do have more questions but my brain has gone blank so I'll probably be back to ask some more at some point.

Thanks in advance

200P is a bit big for the EQ5 and AP, so do not expect all exposures to come out, any breeze will lose the exposure as the 200P is not small. The long focal length counts against it also.

No barlow and zoom is simply internal to the live view I believe. You do prime focus imaging.

So you need a T-ring for the camera.

You may or may not get the sensor to the focal plane. If not then have to replace the focuser with a lower profile one or move the mirror up the tube to (in effect) push the focal plane further out.

You will need to set the camera up fully manual.

You will need a remote timer to get a number of exposures, the camera chip will need to cool down between exposures - all can be done via the remote timer settings.

If you think of adding anything else on then you will need the HEQ5, you likely need it already, so spending the money on the EQ5 may false economy.

Mains supply should be OK as long as the voltage is sufficent and the current it can supply is also sufficent, I use mains-12V DC on myu goto's.

Thanks for the advice. I know the 200p is abit big for the mount but I already have it and it's good enough for what I want since I'm still very early in the learning process, however I do understand how to use my camera/ settings needed etc.

I already own a t-ring and a time release shutter so no need to spend any more money on that side of things.

Also after upgrading would I still have freedom of the scope? Will I still be able to free roam the sky's without taking everything back off?

Sorry, forgot to mention this. I'm asking about the difference between Barlow on my current 1100d and the zoom feature on the 600d as you can digitally zoom in with it and still take a photo/ video without it zooming back out like most DSLR cameras do since they only use the lens to zoom.

the 1100d is fine for astrophotography like ronin suggests if you have the money for a 600d and a synscan upgrade you would be better off getting a  used heq5 and not make thing harder for yourself trying to guide such a large scope on a small mount or take the money you would have spent on the 600d and get a 130pds and coma corrector to use on the eq5. Firstl point of call should perhaps be this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html it tells you what you need and more importantly why it may save you from some costly mistakes

As you already own the 200P EQ5 and an 1100D then start using it manually. Consider it in a similar way to a static mount and take short exposures of not more than 0.5s in the ISO800 range.

The results are not likely to be brilliant but you will learn stacking techniques etc. Adding a simple RA motor will help you along. Further adding the full Synscan will also help.

My SW motors are 6v and I only use a mains adapter, never used batteries.

PS unless I am mistaken, you have misunderstood the zoom feature on the 600D, or I have simply not found it on my 700D. It allows you to zoom into a captured image or zoom when in liveview. Too dark now but I'll have a look with a fully manual Samyang Reflex lens tomorow.

I've been doing astrophotography for around a year on and off and I'm still learning all about processing and stacking.

Yeah I have been doing alot of short exposure photos but now I want to start taking longer exposures of nebula.

The 600d definitely has a zoom feature, but I'm not sure if they added it to the 700d or not.

Whilst in live view mode you hold the display button and press the + button.

Archived