Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flaming Horse DSLR Double nighter meets PixInsight.

MattJenko

Had a go at combining data from two imaging sessions a few weeks apart. First was end of 2014, second run was this weekend. Embarrassingly managed to get the framing off by over 20 degrees for the second run, so the image needed some pretty aggressive cropping to carve out the glaring mismatches after stacking.

SW ED80, HEQ5, Canon 450D, data gathered on a vintage MacBookPro. In total, 58 x 10 minute subs (just shy of 10 hours). Did vast amounts of darks, bias and flats today under cloudy skies and had my poor PC workstation thrash out the calibration this evening. Stacked in DSS and processed completely in PixInsight after that.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one, hope you like it:

6639bf5572482de051c6a05d86a7e686.1824x0_

Lovely! And Sigma Orionis ( a rapidly-becoming favourite) to boot...never realised how close the HH was to SO - I can't see the nebula at all with my scope/sky. Does the little circular nebular between HH & Flame have a name? I'd call it the Oyster and Pearl :)

Excellent - I just started using Pixinsight and found it did a lot better job at processing my images than I ever did in photoshop :-)

David

Lovely! And Sigma Orionis ( a rapidly-becoming favourite) to boot...never realised how close the HH was to SO - I can't see the nebula at all with my scope/sky. Does the little circular nebular between HH & Flame have a name? I'd call it the Oyster and Pearl :)

NGC 2023........The Lump Star........one of the brightest sources of fluorescent molecular hydrogen in the sky.

The star that lights it up is HD 37903.

Archived