Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best and worst evening at the same time - Atik imaging & PHD2

Fordos Moon

4 hours spent freezing cold in the observatory.

New Atik460EX and EFW2 filter wheel, set up, spaced and focussed relatively easily. Very happy.

Before the moon came up and some very slight cloud (perhaps why things went wrong) I had to try 1x1200 Ha image of the California nebula. It came out wonderfully! Very happy.

But I forgot to set up the save facility on Artemis correctly and have lost the image. A slight unhappy feeling but not the end of the world.

Now the set up was the Atik bits on an ED80, with an ST80 piggybacked attached to which is an ASI120MM guiding via PHD2 version 4.2.1. i think. 

The ASI had performed well 80% of the time imaging with my Canon1100D but played up a bit recently, including freezing or a complete white or black screen.

So tonight 1 perfect 20 minute exposure with PHD2 performing admirably, nearly every dot within the inner circle of the target.

When I went back to it after admiring the image captured by Artemis though I had "PHD has stopped working". And each time I tried to start it agin including a reboot just the white screen of death.

So...delighted with the new Atik but now seriously tiring of PHD because it is so moody with me. But again I cant afford another Atik camera to guide with Artemis.

Finally my questions (thanks for reading so far):

1. Why PHD2 crash? Is it the first thing to suffer when the laptop is using all 3 USB ports (460EX, EFW2, ASI120MM).

2. Why the white screen of death in the PHD2 window when its just worked brilliantly for 20 minutes?

3. Is there an alternative means of guiding that wont break the bank (Ive just broken it)?

4. Or could it really be the moon peeking above the horizon or a tiny smidgen of cloud that makes PHD2 go crazy - Im sure it used to be more robust?

5. Should I revert to an earlier version of PHD?

6. Does anyone have a step by step guide to using PHD2 with an ASI120MM - they dont seem to be best of friends.

That's all lol - thank you for your patience and if anyone can help me out I would be more gratefui than you could imagine!

Bob

I'd like to know about that too. I've found both PHD versions can throw a hissy fit at the slightest provocation. And then get "server failed" on re-start requiring a full re-boot to get things going again.

My asi 120mm now works perfectly with PhD2 although I ddid have some problems at first, if you google PhD 2 snapshots you can download the very latest version which did have some fixes for the asi cameras,

They only problem I have now is that when I'm guiding I can't use the internet browser on the PC as this stops the guide camera from taking subs which is weird.

I normal take 2 second subs.

I have only had problems with PHD when running things through an unpowered usb hub. Since changing to a powered hub all has been working with no issues. I see that you are running cables direct into the laptop, so that should not be the issue, but I just wonder whether it is indeed down to power supply to the guide cam?

Also, are you running PHD or PHD2?

I have only had problems with PHD when running things through an unpowered usb hub. Since changing to a powered hub all has been working with no issues. I see that you are running cables direct into the laptop, so that should not be the issue, but I just wonder whether it is indeed down to power supply to the guide cam?

Also, are you running PHD or PHD2?

I am running PHD2 and usually 2 second subs fine. How would I find out which of the 3 USB hubs are powered? I tried swapping the 3 devices round between 2 USBs on right of laptop and 1 on left which seems a little intermittant ie the filter wheel kept going from connected to disconnected with this one. But pretty sure 2 on right are fine as used them when guiding with DSLR. Might explain white screen of death?

My asi 120mm now works perfectly with PhD2 although I ddid have some problems at first, if you google PhD 2 snapshots you can download the very latest version which did have some fixes for the asi cameras,

They only problem I have now is that when I'm guiding I can't use the internet browser on the PC as this stops the guide camera from taking subs which is weird.

I normal take 2 second subs.

Pretty sure I have latest version

How would I find out which of the 3 USB hubs are powered?

I may be mistaken, but I think Gav was referring to an external hub that is plugged into the computer's usb socket, some come with an external power supply that you plug in and some draw power from the computer - for example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-Port-USB-2-0-Power/dp/B001UE6OC8

[As an aside, I have found http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/map-and-troubleshoot-your-usb-ports-with-microsoft-usb-view/ to be a great little free program to help sort out what is going on with usb devices.]

Thanks.

Exactly. I am talking about an external hub plugged into one usb2 port on the laptop. The hub I use is this one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/belkin-usb-4-port-powered-desktop-hub-a90qy

It is plugged into the mains and delivers plenty of power to the guidecam attached.

Could be worth a go?

My ASI120M would not work at all on my laptop, I had to use a second computer to update the firmware on the ASI, then it was fine.

Have u updated the firmware ?

This is an interesting approach. I will be checking my ASI and see what's going on in it too!

Forgot to say originally, congrats on a successful 1200s sub! Once you've ironed out these irritating teething problems, you won't look back and DSLRs will be for holiday snaps only!!!

Thanks Gav it was absolutely stunning i cant believe i didnt save it!!

Exactly. I am talking about an external hub plugged into one usb2 port on the laptop. The hub I use is this one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/belkin-usb-4-port-powered-desktop-hub-a90qy

It is plugged into the mains and delivers plenty of power to the guidecam attached.

Could be worth a go?

This is an interesting approach. I will be checking my ASI and see what's going on in it too!

My better half out getting me one now!

Could be worth a go?

Using the new hub now and all working thanks Gav and all!

Excellent, great news! What are you imaging? I looked at the forecasts and opted not to set up. I've just been in the garden and it looks beautifully dark and clear, doh! I wish I had an obsy and could just open the roof and get started...

Excellent, great news! What are you imaging? I looked at the forecasts and opted not to set up. I've just been in the garden and it looks beautifully dark and clear, doh! I wish I had an obsy and could just open the roof and get started...

It is so much easier with the observatory! Having a go at the California nebula (part of) - i need to work out how to frame my targets but one thing at a time!

The learning never stops. I look forward to seeing what you got.

Yesterday evening was a right old frustration. I let the dog out at 11pm and it was still clear and inviting with a waning moon just appearing in the east. Definitely going to start operations on an obsy next... I may have to ask to come and see your home brewed obsy!

The learning never stops. I look forward to seeing what you got.

Yesterday evening was a right old frustration. I let the dog out at 11pm and it was still clear and inviting with a waning moon just appearing in the east. Definitely going to start operations on an obsy next... I may have to ask to come and see your home brewed obsy!

You're welcome any time - happy to share all my lessons learned when I built it! The forecast for me said it was going to cloud over at 1030 but it stayed clear til 1 am - enabled me to capture some RGB as well as the Ha, then I had fun with flats and bias frames - see my other post!

Archived