Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explore Scientific Maxvision EPs/Euro

Alfian

Hi Alan,

Now I'm doing my viewing sitting (or standing) at angles I actually find comfortable, I can pay a bit more attention to the edges of my EP performance! My scope is 30% lower in FL than yours, so I guess the figures shift slightly - The 40mm SWA in your scope, would give the same FoV as my 24mm in mine - but with coma a non issue, it's really the EP aberrations left to dominate.

Having now used the Maxvisions and Delos in a F4.9 12" Dob, F6 80mm Triplet, F9.4 126mm Achro and now an F10 8" SCT, I would say:

The Delos are just a smidge sharper. I won't put a percentage on it, but it's all at that point of knowing something is definitely in focus. They snap just that bit better in all of the scopes.

The Delos are better corrected for astigmatism in the outer 5% of the FoV. Handy when you're looking at M51 in the 10mm and there's only one star bright enough to judge focus on and it's right at the edge.

The Delos are better at handling coma, but I will qualify this by saying the Maxvisions only come in longer FLs, which naturally suffer coma more noticeably. The Delos duck that one! I'd still say it based on the brief ownership overlap of the MV 16mm SWA with the 17.3 Delos.

The Delos have better eye relief, but if you don't wear glasses, that is a complete non-issue in all but the 16mm Maxvision.

Finally and assuming they occupied the same set of focal lengths; If this were viewed as a pure business transaction to maximize performance for your groat spent, you would never buy a Delos over a Maxvision. Nobody 'needs' the extra 5% of this or that they deliver, but this is a hobby and hobbies aren't supposed to be rational. They're there for enjoyment and that's the definition of luxuries; If you can afford them, you will.

Mind you, it's not lost on me that if I rubbed all three Delos together in the classifieds, the GBP/Euro exchange rate is making one of those Leica Asph zooms look dangerously affordable and when you think about it, they are not only luxurious, but also very rational proposition.

Russell

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been telling newbies to get MVs for a long time. Excellent value for money.

I tested my 24mm in Olly's 20" F/4.1, and it still held up nicely. There was astigmatism at the edges, but most of the field was pretty decent. Not as tight as the 22T4, but hey, that has a price in a WAY different ballpark

Ben,

Sadly as the feeding frenzy was going on I was trying to sell my Meades, we are always wiser after and I didn't need to sell them. I think I was more worried about the wife seeing how many I had and this one is worth hanging on to.

Russell,

You did miss one thing on the Delos front that has no way of measuring, greater snob value :evil: .

Alan 

Archived