Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Motorising an EQ5 mount

Fulhair

I have a skywatcher 200p on an eq5 mount which I want to add motors onto. Stuff drifts out of view quicker than I'd like.

I aim to use this as a learning scope to understand the basics and work upto some astrophotography eventually trading up for something better.

I need like the scope to be portable -  my back yard is poor for observing and I plan to add on a webcam finderscope with a shoetring astronomy autoguider to improve the tracking with a DSLR for photos.

I've narrowed it down to 2 options :

Enhanced Dual-Axis DC Motor Drives for EQ-5

Pros are it's cheaper, 110 quid and I only need D batteries. ST4 port

Cons: Motors not great/slow and no goto. limited upgrade potential

SynScan PRO GOTO Version 3 Upgrade Kit for EQ5

Pro: Goto and better motors - Can link to PC. ST4 port

Cons: Expensive 320 with a power lead

My question is will is the Sync worth the extra money in terms of upgrade potential and functionality?

Any having good experiences with either or functionality I should consider?

I know people recommend upgrading to a HEQ5 but I can't afford a new one and here in New Zealand there are none going second hand.

Also I researched home built motors and an astroeq but I can't use that without a PC and so is not that portable and about 180 quid or more.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Andy

If you want to guide for photography the Synscan Upgrade Kit is essential, you can't really guide with just the motor kit.

You can guide with the first kit (has ST4 port). Both the FLO and TS sites state guiding is possible. The older dual axis motor kit did not have that and was unsuitable. I am opting for the former on my GP mount. I am not worried about the slower rate of the motors, because I do any large change in position by releasing the clutches and moving at speeds few motors could achieve. I tend to be way faster than any goto system :D.  Once in the right general area 16x slew rate is enough for me.

You can guide with the first kit (has ST4 port). Both the FLO and TS sites state guiding is possible. The older dual axis motor kit did not have that and was unsuitable. I am opting for the former on my GP mount. I am not worried about the slower rate of the motors, because I do any large change in position by releasing the clutches and moving at speeds few motors could achieve. I tend to be way faster than any goto system :D.  Once in the right general area 16x slew rate is enough for me.

Sorry I did not notice that, not seen this kit before.  I would still go for the second kit though.

Sorry I did not notice that, not seen this kit before.  I would still go for the second kit though.

If you want goto, sure. I personally want a cheap upgrade to ST4 capability, just to be able to play around a while, before deciding I REALLY want to go into deep sky imaging. I do not need goto for that, as I will only aim to image stuff I can find readily without it (should hit 900th DSO shortly, just 2 to go). If I do like the dark side, I will go for something like an EQ6, which ideally would be ticking over nicely whilst I use the trusty GP mount for either planetary or visual.

I've also been considering motorising my Eq5, purely for holding an object in view and spending time on it.

I'm not bothered at the moment about "go to" or ap. I'd probably consider an HEq5 if I want to go down that route.

Being a bit of a cheapskate, I was wondering if all I really need is the RA motor. Having said that, I think the last time I checked a single motor was not much cheaper than the dual motor kit. But as they say, every little helps!

I have the enhanced Skywatcher motors with a ST3 and use a shoestring gpusb, seemed t work really well, I'm using a 70/700 telescopes and a web cam as my guide scope! so far happy with the results on my Canon 350d on my 6" refractor!

I would argue that the dual motors is the "better" option.

The 200P is heavy enough for the EQ5 mount and if you add goto for the then addition of guiding you will be too heavy at which point you will need the HEQ5 with goto. I actually think with the 200P at present on an EQ5 you will lose a higher percentage of images then you realise.

Then the question is can you sell an EQ5 with added Synscan for enough to make the purchase of the kit worthwhile now. However I suspect that you will end up with the HEQ5 with goto eventually.

Also remember that without guiding the goto is still tracking but with some corrections applied.

I'd check out Tom Carpenters' Astro EQ website.http://www.astroeq.co.uk/about.php,this amazing little gadget is a godsend to any EQ5 owner who wants 'GOTO' but doesn't want to pay £££ for it.

Also check out this tutorial on fitting some after market stepper motors,these are far better than the SW motors.http://www.astroeq.co.uk/tutorials.php?link=/doku/doku.php?id=custommotors

Thanks all for the advice.

I think I'll go with the 2 motor kit. Price is the decider and I can put the saving towards a HEQ5 when one comes along.

As I oringinally posted, I have consider the AstroEq but the basic motors it's quite slow to track to a targe. I'd be willing to build DIY stepper motors but them I'm tied to a laptop and I haven't found  handset I can use with DIY motors ( I'm assuming the stepper rates/distances would be different).

Anyone know a way to use handset with DIY motors?

Cheers

Fulhair

• 3 years later...

Ive just bought the 2 motor kit ... although i stupidly forgot the batteries , so , hopefully tonight i will see it all in action .

For me its the perfect solution , for the EQ5 . 

Astronomy can be a very expensive hobby , as im finding out ( 3 scopes , and a host of accessories such as field flatteners etc) , but its a hobby that never goes out of date and lets face it the equipment will last forever if looked after . 

Maybe you can wait a while to save up the extra money for the "goto" .. and then , at that point you will have a choice that doesn't involve the money side .

Archived