Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New mount

xs2man

I have tried putting the 250px tube on the heq5 with some rings, but it requires more counterweights than available in a small continent and it was more just because i could rather than any expectation it might work. I might use that setup for planetary imaging and observing only if i can balance it, but think it is too much.

I have put it on an NEQ6 before and that worked, albeit enormous.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The eq5 has the same drive gearing and motors as the eq6.So the accuracy is going to be similar.

That said, the 6 is much more robust and a lot heavier than the 5 meaning better weight and less wobble

Just in case there is any misunderstanding the heq5 has the same drive train as the eq6 the eq5 is substantially less accurate its so easy to miss a letter when posting I do it all the time

Yes you're quite correct. sorry.

Typing on a mobile isn't always the way to go.

My friend has the NEQ5 pro and I have the six - the specs are the same except for the max weights.

Now you've got me second guessing myself.

Lets just say his *EQ5 (* = H or N) pro has the same pixel stepping as mine and looks like a smaller version..... EEK :eek:

Like I said, I don't really need to go as big as a 250 I guess.  I would be happy with a 200p, maybe even a 150p looking at some of the images that are up here.

The 150p/pds is a fantastic imaging scope. When I had one I found 750mm focal length to be a good compromise, long enough for reasonable image scale on galaxies and PN's, whilst still wide enough to fit the rosette nebula and M31 for the most part.

They are no slouch for visual either.

• 2 weeks later...

So, having looked around a bit more, and gathering some more information, I have decided that I might as well just go for a EQ6.

As for the 'scope, I am going to drop the mirror size, but, hopefully, a slight increase in quality, and am weighing up getting an Orion Optics UK VX8.  Coming in at only 7KG, the mount should hopefully take it well.  A HEQ5 would probably be enough, but the price difference between them seems so little, when up in that range anyway, that I'm aswell just going for what should be the steadier set-up.

Now to wait on finding one second hand for a reasonable price.  That's preferably not on the other side of the country, or the seller is willing to post.

• 1 month later...

Well, I got myself a NEQ6 in the end.  A nice second hand one, and only a little over 100 miles away.  Can't really complain as I seem to be far further than that from everything else, lol.

I also picked up a SW 130 p-ds to get me started with imaging before going all out on the VX8.

I am considering using my 114 as a guidescope.  Is that a terrible idea or not?  Either that or go down the tried and tested ST80 route.

The guide scope size is immaterial as long as the fr is not a multiple of more than 2.5, so an f10 scope needs a guider of f4 or more.

If they get too far apatt the guiding gets sloppy.

Of course the guide scope needs to be rigidly mounted or you will get flexure resulting in oval or 'eggy' stars

Archived