Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is it possible to connect a canon 1200d to a kindle?

Or just by a 20m Active USB lead and sit inside in the warm with your laptop ...  :smiley:

Steve,

I'm glad you brought this up as I've been wondering how far you can run a USB cable before it affects data transfer. There must be a way since observatories have control rooms remote from the scope. I know I've tried hooking 2 - 10 ft. USB's together and had problems with the capture software. I've been setting up a temporary shelter (control room if you will). Well - it's actually a tent :smiley: to ward off the cold and it's creating problems with objects low in the west. So is this 20 m active USB cable you mentioned the answer to getting set up further from the scope? If you don't mind me asking - Where can you purchase them, are they very expensive and will they work with imaging and guide cameras having USB's for transferring data to the PC?

Thanks,

Scorpius

I've never seen problems with data transfer , but using a DSLR you're only transferring one frame every few minutes .

My SPC900 worked fine at 10fps over 20m , as does my Synscan handset and USB Focuser.

The leads I got were about £25.00 for a 12m lead from Maplins in UK but there are suppliers of similar over your way ... e.g. ... http://www.cablestogo.com/category/usb/usb-extenders-extensions/usb-active-aa-cables

If you want to link USB cables together, even active USB cables then put a powered USB hub at the telescope end and all will be ok, as some items don't like to be used over that sort of distance, even if the cables are active ones, by meade DSI would not work, and the ZWO cameras like the extra power also. Just a thought.

I use my ipad for seeing my live view on the canon camera wirelessly by using an app called DSLR remote pro, made by "one software", but I think it had been discontinued, basically I connect my camera to my USB hub at my pier, and then in the warm room in my garage I have a computer, that is connect to the USB hub by an underground cable I put in, I start the DSLR pro software server software on that PC then the app in my ipad, and hey presto I can stand at the pier looking at the live view full screen, I can zoom in and take images from the ipad.

Hope that helps

:) :)

SS

I've never seen problems with data transfer , but using a DSLR you're only transferring one frame every few minutes .

My SPC900 worked fine at 10fps over 20m , as does my Synscan handset and USB Focuser.

The leads I got were about £25.00 for a 12m lead from Maplins in UK but there are suppliers of similar over your way ... e.g. ... http://www.cablestogo.com/category/usb/usb-extenders-extensions/usb-active-aa-cables

Thanks Steve, I'll be ordering a couple of these active USB cables soon as it will help solve the problem of having my shelter set up too close to the scope.

Scorpius

If you want to link USB cables together, even active USB cables then put a powered USB hub at the telescope end and all will be ok, as some items don't like to be used over that sort of distance, even if the cables are active ones, by meade DSI would not work, and the ZWO cameras like the extra power also. Just a thought.

I use my ipad for seeing my live view on the canon camera wirelessly by using an app called DSLR remote pro, made by "one software", but I think it had been discontinued, basically I connect my camera to my USB hub at my pier, and then in the warm room in my garage I have a computer, that is connect to the USB hub by an underground cable I put in, I start the DSLR pro software server software on that PC then the app in my ipad, and hey presto I can stand at the pier looking at the live view full screen, I can zoom in and take images from the ipad.

Hope that helps

:) :)

SS

SkySurfer - This is good stuff!!! It's the sort of thing I had in mind but didn't know was possible. I have a Nexus 7 (android) tablet and now I'm wondering if I can rig a similar set-up so the Nexus can be used at the scope for focusing like live view on a DSLR. Currently - I'm trying to stand at the scope and adjust the focuser while straining to see the laptop on a table at the opening of the tent. I'm picturing some sort of bracket on the tripod to hold the nexus to simplify the focusing process and eliminate the need to turn my laptop this way and that depending whether I'm at the scope or in the tent. You say the ipad has good enough resolution for focusing? Wonder if this will work with the Nexus? One problem is I'm in a remote field with no wireless network available and my phone doesn't have a wireless hot spot. I have power (solar panel and 12v battery bank with inverter) so I'm wondering if something similar could be cobbled together with some kind of splitter and PC software that could toggle the view between laptop and Nexus. I have a powered 7-port USB hub for placing at the scope but no USB port on the nexus :(

You've got me thinking there's a way but I'm no electrician so anyone been successful doing something like this with an android tablet and cables instead of an ipad with wireless? You say that app can even control the capture process remote from the PC? Man - I've got to find a way to make this work with what I have (no $$$ for an ipad or wireless hotspot). Any ideas or suggestions? How about web links I could research...

Thanks, Scorpius 

If you use Canon lenses instead of scopes you can remotely focus them with either an Android app on a smart phone/tablet or a PC...you can do this via wired USB or with a WiFi adapter to do it completely wireless.

You can still use the above for control when using a scope, just not focus and aperture control.

If you use Canon lenses instead of scopes you can remotely focus them with either an Android app on a smart phone/tablet or a PC...you can do this via wired USB or with a WiFi adapter to do it completely wireless.

You can still use the above for control when using a scope, just not focus and aperture control.

This has really piqued my interest and I’m thinking the manufacturers should consider looking at this. One thing I’ve noticed is the technology is slow to catch up - still using serial port connections for PC’s when most modern laptops don't even have serial ports anymore. I think they should start embracing the mobile revolution and get the electronics up to current standards.

So here’s my concept – Design a combination splitter box/holder that would attach to a tripod leg like Celestron’s hand control holder. Make the holder adjustable for different size tablets and smart phones. The idea being you could hook your tablet or smart phone up to the splitter and place it in the holder. Then when it’s time to focus, you could take it out and hold it in one hand while adjusting focus with the other. Holding it by hand you could place the LCD at the best viewing angle in order to nail focus and they could even design mobile versions of the different focusing software. The guide and imaging cameras - plus the mount to PC connections - would have active USB cables for data transfer between the splitter and laptop. The PC and mobile app would “talk to each other” via a drop down menu letting you choose between PC and tablet or smart phone.

But then you would need the apps. Not sure how many developers are in to astronomy but the app developers, software companies or manufacturers would need to write mobile versions of the various capture software, plus find a way to make it work with PHD (might need to check your guiding at the scope as well)

When imaging (with DSLR's or CCD’s) sometimes you need to be at the scope and sometimes you need to be at the PC. Having a hand-held LCD at the scope (which runs the software) would be an awesome upgrade, in my opinion. Only problem – Sometimes I have good ideas but insufficient resources and expertise to make them a reality... :icon_scratch: 

I use my nexus 7 all the time with my canon 1100d. It is great. The app I use the most is DSLR controller coupled with a OTG cable.

The other app dslr dashboard is however free.

I also use my nexus with a webcam and a different app.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/206228-fun-with-tablet-and-dslr/?fromsearch=1

I have the Orion G3 Starshoot CCD so guessing DSLR controller won't do me any good. Followed your link to the other thread but didn't see you mention the other app you're using with a webcam and the Nexus. The main thing I'm interested in right now is "live view" on the Nexus for focusing at the scope. Don't need camera control with the tablet as I'm focusing manually then using a laptop to capture the subs. Would the other app you eluded to work with CCD cameras like the Starshoot and if so what's its name? Thanks for the help...

Scorpius

Oh I bought a very cheap Windows 8.1 tablet for using where I had to install drivers for a webcam/device.

The nexus I use usbwebcamera app which supports any UVC compliant device/webcam

Jonimac25

Kindle fire is supposedly Android so it might be worth googling to see if anyone has been able to use DSLR controller on it as the Kindle does have a micro usb port.

Archived