Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Balancing scope

Hello everyone

This may be a totally stupid question but when I set up my mount for a know set of accessories  I put the weights in the same position every time  - I have a micrometer to measure the position of the last weight (the others  are simply pushed together at the top  of the bar i.e. in a known position). I have the position of the scope in the dovetail clamp marked out on the dovetail bar  to ensure the other axis is balanced - however this datum point is more hit and miss.   

My questions are 1: is this balancing method valid and 

2, if so is there anything on the market I can buy to act as an end stop on the dovetail bar to make balancing that axis more accurate?

r.

Danny 

Following the directions and advice of the Astronomy Shed video-series will put you in the happy middle-ground where all will be about as good as it gets - without having to constantly be making micro-adjustments every time you change an eyepiece, or adjust the focus. All in all, it's an excellent series for giving most anyone a good working knowledge of using telescopes in a wide variety of configurations.

Thank you for posting this one, Louise. And for anyone wishing to see all the available tutorials from the Astronomy Shed, I suggest following this link and bookmarking it:

http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/

Clear & Steady Skies,

Dave

The Astronomy shed video washow I learned to balance originally. My post was essentially asking if it is ok to then mark the positions of everything for a quicker set up next time and is there anything on the market to facilitate such a technique.

r. Dan

Archived