Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 connection problem PC

Seltaeb

Hi all, 

I would like to start guiding with PHD, EQMOD, ASCOM and my Skywatcher EQ5 mount with SynScanEQ5. I've connected a kabel in the 'autoguider' port on the SynScan. And I've got a Serial to USB cable(Sitecom), this one: https://www.sitecom.com/lu/usb-to-serial-cable-06m/cn-104/p/21
The sitecom cable is connected to my PC, running Windows 7.
Ofcourse, the cable from the mount is connected to the Sitecom cable. I've installed EQMOD, ASCOM and i'm trying to get the thing going.

When I start eqascom_setup I setup the COM-port to where the Sitecom is connected, which is COM: 5 (If I use the binoculairs or "find" he can't find a port..). I setup altitude, longitude and press "Ok". When I start EQMOD it pops up, shuts down, pops up again. I did get into the interface a couple of times, but then it doesn't work. No scope is found because he doesn't see it.

I probably doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is. If there's someone who can help me out, let me know!

Thanks in advance, 

Bas

Hi Bas,

Have you got a guide camera, if so what type?

I have a guide camera, a qhy5 which is autoguide capable.  So I plug an st4 (autoguide) cable from the camera to the mount.  The camera also has a usb conenction which I use to connect to my laptop.  In PHD I set this up as "on camera" for guiding.

An alternate way, I believe, is not use the ST4 cable, instead use the synscan handset with eqmod, but I think you will end up with more cables connected to your laptop ( 1 from guide cam, one from main cam and one from handset). 

Hi Bas,

Have you got a guide camera, if so what type?

I have a guide camera, a qhy5 which is autoguide capable.  So I plug an st4 (autoguide) cable from the camera to the mount.  The camera also has a usb conenction which I use to connect to my laptop.  In PHD I set this up as "on camera" for guiding.

An alternate way, I believe, is not use the ST4 cable, instead use the synscan handset with eqmod, but I think you will end up with more cables connected to your laptop ( 1 from guide cam, one from main cam and one from handset). 

Thank you for this! I own a QHY5L-II guide camera. I will try this a soon as possible!

The alternate way, which I thought was the only way, how do you connect the handset to laptop/PC? Is it with the same cables I use which i mentioned in my first post?

@auspom: I don't believe it's the same cable. I' m having trouble controlling the mount via laptop/PC. This EQdir cable, is it something like this? https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5259_Poseidon-USB-Adapter-for-Skywatcher-EQ3--EQ5--HEQ5-SkyScan.html

Yes, you use that USB to serial cable you mentioned bas.

I find the st4 cable from camera to mount the easiest as I have one less cable going to the laptop (1 from guide cam and 1 from main cam). I then use the handset to get the scope to the right target.

Thanks for all the answers!

I can imagine that the guidecamera to mount is the easiest way. I' m definitly gonna try this(and use this for photographing). But I also like to use my laptop with Stellarium/Cartes du Ciel to control my mount. If i' m gonna try the latter, i've got to connect to the handcontroller with the whte cable and then use the USB to Serial to connect to my PC, right? That should work?

It worked! Connected via the handcontroller to usb port on my laptop(which runs, luckely, EQMOD better than my PC). Select the right port, location, ST-4 and GO. Tested it out with the controllers in EQMOD and it worked immediatly. Then started CdC, connected with ASCOM/EQMOD, selected a star in CdC and it slewed right to it. Thanks all, i'm very happy!

Archived