Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Machining bespoke parts

Tonk

Can anyone recommend any UK outfit that can machine up bespoke adapter parts / drilling + tapping holes for fitting together various astro parts.

My specific problems are:

1) Fitting a Televue clamshell to (back of) a Losmandy style saddle plate - requires 3 precision drilled and tapped holes with right alignment - I ain't got the equipment or skills for this

2) A plate that adapts  the base plate of  10Micron mount to a Losmandy GM8/G11 tripod head socket (I'm setting up a mobile rig) 

post-40124-0-85692000-1420643116.jpg

post-40124-0-27880700-1420643117_thumb.j

post-40124-0-77413300-1420643117.jpg

OK - re the image - that fitting the clamshell (left) to back of saddle plat on right. The losmandy head in the middle is not the exact GM8 one - buts its similar - I need a flattope plate that fits onto the head on which the base plat of the 10Micron will be screwed down

Never rule out making contact with any small machining shop that is local to where you live. The one I use up the road from where I live is very friendly, well priced and helpful regarding possible solutions. It's a good excuse to keep local businesses to stay local as once they have gone, so has their experience too.

Clear skies

Thanks of all the tips and offers. I ordered a couple of parts from Ian King this morning - may take a month to arrive because one part is made to order - when I have it all I'll cast around for help putting then together. Thanks everyone for your help.

Archived