Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on Brands of eyepieces to avoid......

Your budget, size of focuser (1.25 or 2) and telescope details would be helpful in marshalling the usual suspects. There are many good to great eyepieces out there ranging in price from £25 to £lots!

As you specifically mentioned 32mm tho - I'm going to vote for the TeleVue Plossl 32, a superb ep that will serve you well in clarity and gorgeousness of the expansive view, but I'm biased as I own and love one! Some say it has too great an eye relief tho...it's an individual choice on that one I'm afraid. 

A great 30mm at a much more economic price is the Vixen NPL (see FLO, above) - a very fine ep indeed imho. 

Other makes are available ;)

Makes absolute sense :)

Check out FLO for some choice goodies in their eyepiece section (thinking of Skywatcher & Vixen NPL here), have search on Ebay for BST Starguider (they are very popular and are superb for the money apparently, cost £49 or so)...

A good place to look is Classifieds here or the Astro Buy & Sell website, and indeed on Ebay (check the seller's feedback & watch out for white elephants. There are loads of excellent UK sellers there) - buying used can often get you quality glass at good prices & in my limited experience, people generally look after their gear so  buying used can a be very good avenue to go down... 

I would venture to say that if you stuck with recognised brands, you'll be OK. The eyepiece section on SGL will give you more options than you can shake a finder at!

Good hunting :)

I've got an ES30mm ( which in my 200mm scope only gives a mag of x33 which i'm happy with), in a 127skymax you'll be getting slightly more with a FL of 1500mm  (x50) I'm tempted to say that because of the size of these things the your best bet may be a 24mm as decent quality 32mm ep's are only really the 2" models.

A 32mm eyepiece in the plossl design will show you as low power / wide field view as the mak will deliver. The standard Skywatcher 32mm plossl is quite decent in such a scope or alternatively the Vixen NPL 30mm will do a similar job but is a bit nicer in quality. If you want a different perspective you could go for a 24mm Baader Hyperion which has a wider field of view than the plossl so it shows as much sky despite giving higher magnificiation. The Hyperions do cost more but they are larger and more complex designs.

Unless you've got low pollution, the 32mm is of very little use....

Nick.

Can't say I necessarily agree although I take your point, Nick. As a 'hunter' the 25 would probably be better...

But I love the starfield view through my 32, and look where I live!

Just from curiosity:

Do you want the 32mm for low magnification, or for wide field of view.

There is a slight difference.

If it is specifically low magnification then the 32mm plossl is the item.

If however it is field of view then a 25mm BST Starguider will give as close as it matters the same.

If it purely field of view then the 25mm Antares W70 from Rother Valley will deliver a wider view then the 32mm plossl.

They just cost about double.

Will say that the 32mm plossl is a good easy option at the end of the day and very useful (close to essential) with a Mak/SCT - this was a lesson I learnt from direct experience.

Yes it does get very dark here. tonight would of been perfect but a clip on my tri-pod broke as i was setting up :huh:

Commiserations. Gear eh? Tsk...

I'm just in for a cuppa & warmup while waiting for the Moon & Jupiter to hove out from behind the chimneys - been having a splendid two hours with Comet Lovejoy and the Sisters in Pleiades, the delightful Sigma Orionis & whatnot. My first session this year so I am grinning like a Chesire collimator. Hope you get your tripod sorted & can get out there quickly! Lovejoy's a treat & dead easy to spot.

Commiserations. Gear eh? Tsk...

I'm just in for a cuppa & warmup while waiting for the Moon & Jupiter to hove out from behind the chimneys - been having a splendid two hours with Comet Lovejoy and the Sisters in Pleiades, the delightful Sigma Orionis & whatnot. My first session this year so I am grinning like a Chesire collimator. Hope you get your tripod sorted & can get out there quickly! Lovejoy's a treat & dead easy to spot.

Sounds like you had a good time!

I order a leg clamp from eBay last night so with any luck will be back out next week.

Sounds like you had a good time!

I order a leg clamp from eBay last night so with any luck will be back out next week.

It was great, despite the seeing not being perfect. And for my first time I saw the Great Red Spot, which has repaid in an instant all those clouded-out nights!

Hope you get the clamp sorted easily and I look forward to your adventures :)

Let us know what you decide on the 32mm front.

Let us know what you decide on the 32mm front.

I just ordered the Vixen NPL 30mm among a few other bits  :grin:. Thought the 30mm seemed like a good piece to then decide if i would like to use something with a bit more zoom but still the wide view.

Thanks for your help and advice guys, much appreciated!

I just ordered the Vixen NPL 30mm among a few other bits  :grin:. Thought the 30mm seemed like a good piece to then decide if i would like to use something with a bit more zoom but still the wide view.

Thanks for your help and advice guys, much appreciated!

A good choice - very fine ep for the money. Enjoy!

Archived