Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The sun again..... again.....

Sam

I had to take the day off today to sell some sheep so I got the chance to get the solar scope out again and have another go at imaging. Here's the disk in the first shot. For some reason the QHY5 has some interference that creates some banding. If I dither the image round it doesn't show up but today I obviously didn't move it enough. A least the newtons rings are less pronounced.

post-1453-142049846414_thumb.jpg

This is a close up of the active region. I used a Tal 3x Barlow to get in a bit closer. I think the processing might be a bit rough. There's certainly a lot of sunspots in that region.

post-1453-142049849739_thumb.jpg

The one thing I've discovered in the last few days with solar imaging is how bad the seeing is when the sun is up, all those thermals and pockets of air that start bubbling up really have a detrimental effect.

Yeah that's right about the amount of atmosphere in the early part of the day, I certainly notice the difference when the sun is much higher, the only problem is it is quite hot and rather uncomfortable in the obs! It's a rough old hobby this one, roasting in summer doing solar astronomy and freezing in the long nights of winter chasing DSOs. :)

Nice detail there. The disk does look a little bit flat, however

Yeah now that I look at it I think it's a bit over processed. The forecast is good for tomorrow so I give it another go. Thanks for the feedback, it's really valuable. :)

Archived