TeleVue, Planetary Filter.

alan potts

Don't you use up some focuser movement with one of those in the drawtube ?

Just noticed that it also has a T thread so the Leica would screw directly onto it, saving most of the back focus requirement

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night, I set up my VX14 in my backyard with a primary intention to observe Jupiter and for the second time to use my planetary filter.

Clouds did not clear until after 10pm but I had to wait to approaching 1am for Jupiter to present a good clear margin away from my Chimney stack. Plenty of nice things to look at before hand though such as Auriga clusters and a lovely bright Eskimo nebula. Remarkably all my neighbour's switched their lights off and only one heating system some distance away kept up through the night.

I was looking forward to using the filter again and fitted it straight away to my 13mm ethos. The image as soon as focus was achieved was immediately pleasing, the salmon tone was subtle, details appeared sharply accentuated, ingrained and etched into the surface. There was a distinct spherical profile to both planet and the moons. The best view I received was using my 10mm delos at around 184X. The filter enhanced surface detail and created a 3D impression, the comfortable viewing afforded by the delos and its porthole window almost seemed to transfer me far beyond my seated backyard position.

The filter was very satisfying to use, Jupiter with or without this or other filters has been astonishing so far this season and I look forward to the next occasion.     

Well that would have been tonights menu written but we have a little thing called the Moon to rain on the parade, next week maybe. I should have dark enough sky here. Maybe it's a target for the 24 inch F3 I was dreaming of last night.

Alan

May be just a dream that one? Wonder who'd make the mirror Alan as it's a proper challenge that one at F3 ;-(

Damian

Archived