Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ST80,Quark & SW S A dventurer

Davey-T

Stuck this together yesterday and had a go this morning and was pleasantly surprised.

Focusing was a bit tricky with no slow mo' and the focuser flopping up and down when reversing but OK for visual, what was really useful was the fast forward and reverse feature and the fine tuning Dec knob of the SA which made moving around the Sun surface really easy, much easier than using a hand controller

Compared to the LS60DS, which I had set up at the same time, the proms were actually brighter and sharper in the ST80 / Quark combo but there was slightly more surface detail in the LS60.

Using the TV40mm Plossl got a nice full disc with plenty of room for proms and the 32mm just gives enough room for proms, think I'll get a 25mm as it looks like it will work especially as the seeing wasn't particularly good and the Sun really low but still got nice views of the big prom.

Will look into improving the focuser, I have the original focuser from the LS60 which I swapped out for a Moonlight focuser so may be able to fit it to the ST80 if it's not too much hassel.

All in all a great accidental  combo considering I bought the ST80 for guiding and the SW Star Adventurer for wide field astro it makes a great portable Solar rig, may even be able to do some imaging, too windy today, and it's looking like a contender for the eclipse.

Didn't use a filter, thought I had one but the thread didn't fit the 1 1/4" diag for some reason

Dave

post-21198-0-61049900-1420209152_thumb.j

Looks a little awkward in the picture but sounds like it works for you none the less.

That's because I had it at a funny angle for the picture,  forgot to mention the Star Adventurer has a Solar tracking setting which also worked realy well.

Dave

Nice one Davey :laugh: 

I have been wondering how the Quark compares to the Lunt, interesting comment about the surface details and prominences, I have been waiting for a direct comparison with someone that owns the 60mm, thank you. 

It's a nice bonus when something comes in handy for something else :laugh: My ED120 has been given a second lease of life as a solar scope after very nearly being sold due to me giving up DSO imaging, its former main use :laugh:

Saw this on ABS, has brand new upgraded 2" focuser, maybe useful for you, just a thought

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=91569

Happy new year

:) :)

SS

Thanks for the heads up, bit far for me to trek to as I try not to buy any astro stuff without seeing it, focuser looks interesting though, may just get that from TS.

Dave

Archived