Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Street Lights

scorpio1948

Hi All,

An interesting development has just occurred in my area. (Morriston, Swansea)

They have fitted new street lamps, which give off a blue-white light.

The best thing about these, for us, is that they direct the light downwards, so no more stray light, and no more orange glow to penetrate.

For people like myself with mobility problems, and who are restricted to 'back yard astronomy' they are a blessing.

They also require less power (cost) to operate, and consequently are better for the environment.  

Anyway, if these haven't been fitted in your area, it might be worth lobbying your own councils, we all pay enough tax, and all of our councils are strapped for cash, so it would be a good investment for them.

It would be interesting to find out how many of these lights have been fitted in South Wales, my area may be the last to have them, which wouldn't be unusual  :huh:  :smiley: .

Catch you soon,

Cheers

Pete

Hi, I'm in birchgrove and theyve fitted them in the side roads but not on the main road yet, it will be nice when they do though

Hi Gino,

The nearest main road to me (Clasemont Road), still has the old orange lights, so it may be just the side roads.

Fortunately Clasemont Road, is North of my position so its an area I don't view very often. Plus I would have to set up in my front garden, it might upset the neighbours  :laugh: .

Cheers

Pete.

The problem with these LED lights is that they are extremely broadband across the light spectrum and cannot be filtered out using standard light pollution filters as can be done with the older sodium and mercury streetlights.

So astrophotography, particularly of galaxies and nebula will be a lot more difficult if not impossible in some areas.

It would be far better for astronomy in urban areas, also for the environment if local authorities could be persuaded to reduce or turn off unnecessary lights. Studies have already shown that vandals and other lowlife prefer brightly lit streets, so that is not an excuse!!.

Regards and the best for the new year.

Bob.

The problem with these LED lights is that they are extremely broadband across the light spectrum and cannot be filtered out using standard light pollution filters as can be done with the older sodium and mercury streetlights.

So astrophotography, particularly of galaxies and nebula will be a lot more difficult if not impossible in some areas.

It would be far better for astronomy in urban areas, also for the environment if local authorities could be persuaded to reduce or turn off unnecessary lights. Studies have already shown that vandals and other lowlife prefer brightly lit streets, so that is not an excuse!!.

Regards and the best for the new year.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

You are probably correct about the filters, but in my area the light is directed down to the road and pavement, so there is no stray light coming from the side or above. 

I have noticed that the sky seems darker.

With the recent moonglow, I haven't had a chance for any DS viewing, but I can see some faint stars with the naked eye, which have been invisible up to now.

Admittedly, I haven't tried my camera yet on DS objects.

I do agree with you about unnecessary lights, this should also include shops and offices that keep their lights burning 24/7, even if the premises is empty.

The best viewing I had was when my area had a local power-cut which lasted for over an hour. 

Anyway, the LED lights seem to be a step in the right direction. Only time will tell what problems they cause for star gazers.

Cheers

Pete

Archived