NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

...no more snapshots...

crimbo2047

Well, I have decided to have a go at doing some DSLR imaging

But I need a concise resource to get my head around subs, flats and whether to use in camera dark frame subtraction

So URL's gratefully received

TIA

Have a read of this. Have some tranquilizer pill handy, it will get rocky.http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CEAQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fstargazerslounge.com%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dattach%26section%3Dattach%26attach_id%3D84827&ei=UrWiVI7oGcHxatmwguAJ&usg=AFQjCNGmWxX8TQRMJwBfMUqJgbMo6u6lAA

A.G

Thank you.

So darks seperate and at the same.time as the subs.

Flats each time.you image or just do a collection at another time?

Then DSS

Thank you.

So darks seperate and at the same.time as the subs.

Flats each time.you image or just do a collection at another time?

Then DSS

Bias can be taken at the end of imaging, flats are best taken at the end of session. Darks are tricky as they are highly temperature dependant so it is up to you, the software can optimise darks if they are within  a couple of degrees of C to each other. You will get all these wrong from time to time so stick with it.

A.G

Flats are critical to have everything setup the same as during the imaging run. Set the camera to Av mode.

You can dismount the camera from the scope and fit a normal lens back on, or even the body cap. Allowing you to pack away whilst capturing these frames.

Do NOT use In Camera Noise Reduction, capture the darks at the end of the imaging session.

Darks need to have the same exposure settings and temperature conditions, ideally, although this can be tricky, but at the end of the session will normally suffice. 

Bias can be taken at any time, minimum shutter speed, with the correct ISO and the lens capped. 

Get Steve's book, it's superb. The help file for DSS on Calibration frames is a very good resource also. 

http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/faq.htm#lightdarkflatoffset

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have decided to have a go at doing some DSLR imaging

But I need a concise resource to get my head around subs, flats and whether to use in camera dark frame subtraction

So URL's gratefully received

TIA

Try..........A Guide to Astrophotography with DSLR Cameras by Jerry Lodriguss.........an excellent dvd book.

It explains everything you will want to know about AP and dslrs.

It comes from the US but Jerry is pretty quick in sending.

BTW

Your comet image has more in it than you have got out of it, think you have a nice tail to bring out.

Try..........A Guide to Astrophotography with DSLR Cameras by Jerry Lodriguss.........an excellent dvd book.

It explains everything you will want to know about AP and dslrs.

It comes from the US but Jerry is pretty quick in sending.

BTW

Your comet image has more in it than you have got out of it, think you have a nice tail to bring out.

Thanks.

Yes,got to get a handle on the FITs Liberator to dee how much tail I can pull

sent from a mobile thingy

Archived